Foreign HGV's may have to pay extra to drive across France in 2019

There are placards demonstrating against tolls on the RN 79 but very little actual information.

I will see Bernard, the mayor, at a friend’s autumn gathering soon.

Austria as well as hungary do the same.

The N79 is a disaster. 80 klicks most of the way, and then you get someone who cant, wont doesnt drive faster than 65 klicks. best of all are the signposts “dont lose concentration, it kills” ROFL. the 80 klick speed limit kills. I for one will be glad when this road is dual carriageway, but like you say it wont happen next week. Although i do see a lot of progress on the stretch around Macon , i am impressed.

No, it’s drivers who kill.

A speed limit is a passive and virtual thing that is unable to kill anyone, unlike poor driving and brainless drivers.

3 Likes

We will be greatly affected when they change our section into two lane.
Apparently we will not be able to go to the shops in Dompierre without a huge diversion for about two years.
We are concerned about the diversion of light traffic onto the D17, which is close to us.
There is no doubt that the N79 is an appalling road, it attracts lorries which do not want to pay for an autoroute and many accidents are caused by their drivers falling asleep.

That’s one enormous diversion if it takes two years to get to the shops…
Don’t set out when you’re hungry.

1 Like

I can’t believe you lot. These vehicles will be carrying goods that people need. What are they supposed to do? I, also, doubt very much that they will be using back roads to avoid a toll. Not financially viable at all.

Totally agree I admit the speed limit causes problems but it can’t kill anybody

1 Like

I understand your sentiments … that no-one takes a longer-than-necessary route… but, in reality… that is indeed what happens in many cases.

There is a move afoot to make these lorries (trans-continentals) stay on the péages or, if not, penalise them in some financial way… at the moment, they add enormously to the wear and tear of our local roads, while bringing us no benefit whatsoever.

Many HGV’s whip onto the alternative route as the Toll Booths appear… it has become so bad that there is rumbling about banning such vehicles from our local roads and insist that they do use the péage

There was a halcyon period (of about 2 weeks) when lorries were banned on our main north-south N roads as there is a nearly parallel motorway. However the haulage associations appealed, and the ban was overturned…