Formula 1 2020 Season

Just what I said yesterday.

For how long, forever or just while Covid-19 is a problem?

Always. this is not really a Covid problem for me, it is because of global warming.
We have to take it seriously and start living far less complicated lives.

It may be argued that the benefits that F1 brings: employment, technical advances and entertainment outweighs F1’s relatively minor adverse impact on global warming.

3 Likes

Are you really saying that all international sport should be banned because of climate change (global warming, of course, is just an element of climate change), so no Olympics, no World Cup football etc? Extraordinary statement to make.
Izzy x

2 Likes

and no internation chess competitions :scream:

2 Likes

At a stroke you’ve just wiped out millions of jobs worldwide Jane, nice.

4 Likes

It could be argued that coal mining and oil exploration do the same.

I don’t see why not.
All this rushing around the world and building new stadia needs to stop.

Did you know, Jane, that “Deforestation to make way for livestock, along with methane emissions from cows and fertilizer use, creates as much greenhouse gas emissions as all the world’s cars, trucks and airplanes.” So maybe we should start doing something practical like reducing meat consumption before we worry about the terrible damage that international snooker does!!
Here’s a couple of links

Yes I know that deforestation is bad for the planet.
Do you know that degredation of peat bogs cannot keep up with tree planting?
Large scale farming is bad for the planet. Here in the Clunysois the soil layer is very thin and is only good for growing grass, hence the Charolais beef.

Jobs have to change too Tim.

Many of my friends took part in motor sport from F2 to the Mille Miglia and one of my friends owned TVR .
I used to go out with a photographer friend taking pictures for Motoring News, but times have changed and we knew nothing about global warming then.

My soon to be SIL is a former tennis pro who not only commentates for a tv channel she also travels the world as a coach to a couple of players, stopping global tournaments will render her instantly unemployed and at 45 the chances of her getting any sort of decent paying job is next to zero. I guess she could stack shelves in Tesco but that won’t pay the mortgage so the house will have to go but at least the planet will be saved, not!

1 Like

Good newspaper, Motoring News. Is it still going?

Well, I’d vote for that. All a big financial/political fiddle anyway. Sport ain’t what it uses to be. Not since the Berlin Olympics.

I love tennis, I love polo and horse racing, but they sometimes need long distance international travel, especially all the Argentinian players and their horses and grooms.
Do you want tennis to be stopped because it is too hot to play.
That is already happening at the Australian Open and the USA Open.
Many people will have to adapt what they do, including our own families.

So basically tough s**t, not sure you’ve thought this through Jane.

2 Likes

It is actually that for all the coal miners, steel workers etc. where whole communities have been affected.
Many people will have to learn to make a different living and to live differently if we are ever to stop global warming.
I really have thought this through, I think it is you that is in denial Tim.