France bans pro-Palestinian demonstrations

Hmmm

I think it is wrong to ban these marches, as long as it is clearly pro-Palestinian citizens, not endorsement of Hamas. Just as I hope nobody is confusing marches for Israeli citizens with endorsement of Netanyahu’s coalition.

9 Likes

Usual Express outrage :roll_eyes:

I’m hoping this is kind of an expression of France’s kind of laïcité/neutrality. Was the Gulf War not handled a bit similarly?

The new Dean of my French school sent out a statement deploring this war last week. Normally the school has not made such comments on previous or other wars and i was a bit annoyed with him. Of course his career history includes the US even though he is a European and I fear this may have influenced him taking this action.

Not a good start for him and I hope he has better judgment in the future. He should have kept stumm as there was no particular reason for the school to comment.

Banning demos for either side is a bit similar.

Can’t say I’m at all surprised, though I do wonder if the same would have happened to a pro-Israel demo, obviously depending on how it was operated of course.

1 Like

Rallies such as this shouldn’t be banned, there were many in the UK at the weekend and the one in London attracted over 100K pretty much without incident.

1 Like

My cousin who works for AFP is in Jerusalem right now, very worried about two of his AFP bods who are stuck in Gaza.

2 Likes