France - Cost of Living Expensive?

I was surprised how expensive fish and chips and going out for a curry were on my last trip to the UK. If the cost of eating out is important I would probably say Germany is brilliant, I know a lot of cheap restaurants around where I lived but then there is the question of quality… To get that cost a lot more. In France I know a lot of places where the value for money is amazing. The only trouble is that not many of them are particularly close to where I live. :frowning:

When we do manage to escape from our village (and my cooking)… the quality and variety of local dishes produced in some of the smaller bars/restos… is always a treat.

You must be feeling benevolent Stella. I don’t think I’d have been nearly as kind after my last Harvester experience…:wink:

I was in Essex with the family… that made the whole thing special :relaxed:…it was not my choice of eatery, but it was the best thing around… :zipper_mouth_face:

The Feathers in Holt (Norfolk) is offering a special deal: Rump steak with all the trimmings… £32.50 for 2 people… (plus wine, coffee etc). We know the place well… their food is always excellent and I would be happy to pay that price for what I know will be a delicious plateful… but, as I say… it is just 1 course…

LOL Stella - you know I don’t mind a good furore but…I don’t think there’s one imminent!

If we’re just comparing with the UK (I wasn’t ) then you can find pretty good lunchtime meal deals just about anywhere. I think it’s important to try and compare like for like. Lot’s of the lunchtime eateries in France offering the ‘value’ 2/3 courses with wine and coffee are pretty much run-of-the mill places targeting a specific price level and market.

So, I’ve quickly chosen (googled!) 4 pub / gastro chains to compare them with in the UK - Hungry Horse, Brewers Fayre, Nando’s and Vintage Inns - all offering pretty cheap deals, specifically between 11h00 ad 17h00 - certainly comparable with French prices, even adding on drinks / coffee where they are not included. The menus tend to be much more extensive (more choice) and notably cost next to nothing (sometimes free) for kids (when eating with adults). As you’d expect, the menu choices are geared to the ‘local’ market - not the French one!! Notably, weekend meal deals are very popular in the UK to attract families - not the case in France where a MdeJ does not have to be offered at weekends and on public holidays.

Of course, if you want to go to another level - there is a plethora of ‘good value’ cafes all over the UK where prices can be considerably cheaper and you can fill your boots! :slight_smile:

Let the furore commence… I could do with a good laugh…

Now then Simon… we would never choose to eat in a run-of-the-mill eatery… we like to visit small establishments… where the chef/patron takes pleasure in producing meals that will delight his customers… ie the little white-van brigade … and us of course. :relaxed:

When in doubt, look to see where the local workforce eat. In my experience, they don’t put up with inferior stuff… and they don’t want to pay more than they have to. Small businesses catering for them, will do a roaring trade and retain their clientele…

Anyway, that has been our rule of thumb and we’ve not been let down yet.

Although we have sometimes eaten well in UK… it has always been at a price considerably higher than I wanted to pay… but that is just the way it goes… I’m a tight-fisted Gran… :hugs:

1 Like

In Portugal, we chose family-run little restaurants… delicious local produce. with fish always in one form or another… umpteen courses… and cheap prices. Bliss :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Way back about 20 years ago I recall stopping for a meal in Beaujolais
and although it was a simple place and the lunch was about 14 euros
the cooking was superb.
It was cooked by someone who was gifted to cook well.
Most people can go through the motions of cooking and provide
something pleasant but not every one has that touch where
ingredients become something totally delicious.
So those who have this special talent will go out and seek their fortune
and become the Gordon Ramseys and Rick Steines of this world.
There is always a price to pay for skill.
Hopefully there will always be the Routiers like the 2 on the 936 near St
Emillion where they offer great value simple fayre for 13 euros and this
is a great place for the workers and those who need a break for process
of providing a meal.
The routier café and the British transport café are they both sustainable?
I think not.
With the cost of food and the increase of every aspect of running a restaurant
I would say that the days of a decent cheap meal are numbered…certainly
in France and UK.

1 Like

Wetherspoons in the UK is a great example of getting it right. Steak and chips plus a pint for £8.99, how can you beat that and it’s proper beef not tough old dairy cow that you often get here.

2 Likes

Don’t start me on French beef…:-:scream::scream::scream:

And frozen fries given the kiss of life in a deep fryer.
How often is the oil changed?
UK and here and bet your bottom dollar Witherspoons.
I think that the owner is very much a Brexit man…by the way.

Oh… go on… let’s get you started… :wink:

I simply cannot cook a decent steak here… I admit it…and no longer choose it when we are out, as I have been disappointed too many times.

However… About 10 years ago, I was chatting with the then chef of our little village resto… and asking what the MdJ would be… “onglet de bœuf” (with the 27 other courses :joy:)
Then her face dropped… You will not like it Stella… Why on earth not… Because we just show it to a hot pan… and you English don’t like your beef bloody. She explained that it was a “special”…that she had got from her uncle (local butcher)… and she simply could NOT cook it longer … it would be ruined.

Well… the smells coming from the kitchen, where the 27 other courses were being prepared :relaxed:…were just so wonderful… that I booked our 2 places on the spot…

That was the only time I can really say “it melted in the mouth”… the knife slipped through it… no grotesque chewing and chomping… sheer bliss.

I got her to write down the name and went looking for the meat … in those days it was 29 euro a kilo… so, of course I didn’t buy it… but I have happy memories…

Stella that is a steep price for onglet it is similar to bavette, hempe…not much of it on
each cow. If hung well and a little black in coulour steak should be tender.

Not sure the Brexit comment is relevant.

@barbara_deane1

You may consider Onglet to be similar… but, as far as I am concerned, those other cuts come nowhere near Onglet for succulence.

I have been so disappointed with bavette and hampe…yes, they are cheaper, but if they are not so nice… what is the point… :roll_eyes:

Some times we make comments which are not totally relevant to every one.
It was something I remembered and it came to this page.
I hear that many restaurants in UK are suffering.
I also am not a fan of chain restaurants.

I suppose that if we are managing on tight budgets it is either a slightly
inferior cut of meat or none at all.

Relevant to the conversation would be good.:wink:

Chain restaurants have their place, if you don’t like them I would suggest you never go to the US.

Well Tim every one should abide by the same rule…
Could cut out some of the fun.
I am not going to the US for a few reasons.
Yes chain restaurants do have their place and many people
appreciate them.

Barbara… I was replying to Simon… we are talking about eating steak in France.

The one and only time I have thoroughly enjoyed steak here… was when Valerie’s uncle gave her some Onglet to serve in her little resto.

It was clear from the price in the shops, that she would not have been able to buy Onglet to serve up on her MdJ.

We and her Regulars thoroughly enjoyed her “Special” MdJ on that occasion. :hugs: