France Sees Increased Violence During Islamic Ramadan Celebration

Is it possible that the non-radicalized members of the Muslim communities across the country daren’t take the risk of reprisals if they speak out against zealots however much they would like to?

1 Like

A difficult subject to debate on a forum like this. We allhave our private views and I for one, would not want to get into any discussion over religion.

2 Likes

In a free, liberal, secular and democratic society, one should be able to criticise anything and anyone.

That people can’t do so means that we’re not as free as you might think.

4 Likes

Point taken but I think this is a society issue not a religious one. I would seriously like to know what other foreigners living here feel about the changing face of France.

1 Like

You are so right. What scares me is that this right to free speech is being eroded in a malicious way - so not by the State but members of the same minority.

2 Likes

A report on a website called “European Conservative.com” is probably not going to be the most reliable source of information on this. :slight_smile:

For example it has a “democracy watch” column which “tracks the battles between the EU elites and the peoples of Europe.” Time to don the tin-foil hat I suspect :smiley:

There are “zealots” in lots of different communities. Right-wing zealots have been just as prominent as religious zealots (and those come from more than one religion) in recent years.

3 Likes

On this subject. Pedestrian control barriers have been erected around a local church.
Im told that its down to a heightened terrorist alert. True or false.

Supplementary question, can something be down to a heightened state of any anything?

1 Like

Lingustically yes, logically no. :slight_smile:

Reminds me of the UK TV weather forecasters whose favourite phrase at the moment is “…heading into Monday, we expect rain in the north-west.”

We are not galleons; I am not “heading” anywhere at the moment, especially not overnight. :smiley:

2 Likes

Europeanconservative, mmh yes probably will take the more right-wing view on these incidents.

However, in France, there is an odd “head in the sand” situation in terms of statistics on arrests and misdemeanors. Which is unfortunate as better statistics can also prove, say, systemic racism in stop and search arrests. Good statistics can also debunk right-wing conspiracy theories of “le grand remplacement”.

It can also demonstrate a trend which requires an answer.
If the statistics showed that all crime was committed by people with purple hair, the root causes should be examined.

2 Likes

The alert/threat states posted on MoD sites used to have “Attack Imminent” above “Heightened” IIRC, so it’s entirely logical to drop down to this “Keep your head on a swivel and report anything suspicious” state from an “ICBMs inbound, ETA 5 minutes” alert state.

NB: The latter state being know as a “Brown Alert” amongst enlisted personnel.

This turmoil is down to four players. Israel, the United Kingdom, the United States of America and the United Nations. Everything else in that region is a reaction to what these four have done or not done. I’m not saying every reaction has been right and proper but put yourself in the shoes of a people suffering injustice without any other recourse but a toothless UN. A two state solution could have been driven through decades ago and we could be enjoying holidays on the Eastern Med with the peoples there enjoying the fruits of our labour and us theirs.

It’s illegal to collect that sort of data.

As you say, deeply unfortunate. I think the benefits would far outweigh the perceived harm.

3 Likes