France starts issuing speeding fines to the UK

Our son rang us yesterday from the UK to tell us that he has received a speeding fine from France dating the offence as the 23/12/18 but only issued a few days ago, he was on his way to spend Christmas with us.
A friend called in to see us a few days ago and informed that he had also received a speeding fine for the time he was over here in February also only issued a week ago.
So be careful you UK registered car drivers.

Not before time in my opinion.

7 Likes

I agree David. People living outside of France shouldnā€™t be able to drive dangerously because they think they wonā€™t get caught. Letā€™s hope this continues after Brexit.

3 Likes

I received a speeding ticket for November last year, 5km over , 4 weeks ago!!

The Dartford Crossing toll cameras picked up my French-registered car in 2017 for non-payment of DART charge but only because I forgot, having registered the vehicle to my DART account, and paid it, a couple of times previously.

Yes leave dangerous driving to the indigenous!
Only my friends, who live in France also just received one and about the same massively dangerous 5km over like others posting on here.

So for the 3rd consecutive month road deaths have increased over the previous year.

https://auto.bfmtv.com/actualite/le-nom ā€¦ 76532.html

Clearly the 80kph rule has not worked.

All people need to do is stick to the speed limit and they wonā€™t be fined.

Not that difficult really.

4 Likes

In what way has the new speed limit not workedā€¦ ??

Clearly, I just wondered why people set out on a journey determined to break the law or are they caught out in unfamiliar surroundings with lower speed limits than they are used to and in some cases smaller KPH scales in the middle of their speedometers.

Road deaths increased,

Copped my fine just a week or two after the camera flashed. Again 5kmh over the 70kmh limit - on the sliproad between two Autoroutes - at 2 in the morning!

A fair copā€¦ but then, a real fair cop would have probably not got out of his warm car to issue a fine or would have just bollocked me for the dangerous speed I was travelling atā€¦

That is the ā€˜problemā€™ with the revenue-earning, never sleeping, no leeway auto cameraā€¦

1 Like

Yes, Iā€™ve been following the figuresā€¦ we have had several tragic deaths locally.

However, in the mainā€¦ deaths were reportedly caused when drivers were under the influence of drink/drugs (whatever) and doing ridiculously excessive speedsā€¦ would have made no difference what the speed limit was 80/90/100ā€¦

On the other handā€¦ some drivers clearly were unable to judge the correct speed for road conditionsā€¦ since, whatever the limitā€¦ in slippery/bad-vision or whateverā€¦ one is supposed to cut oneā€™s speed accordinglyā€¦ those who failed to do so, sadly paid the priceā€¦ and it is no comfort whatever to know that they were only going 5kh over the limit (whatever).

Deaths of young/oldā€¦ total wasteā€¦ and families shattered.

2 Likes

5 kmph over the limit is against the law - so shut up and pay up! It really doesnā€™t matter where you come from! You got caught - end of.

3 Likes

Youā€™re so inflexible Simon :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yep - when it comes to nutters! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Carlā€¦ my comments are general and do NOT refer to YOUā€¦ I am trying to explain the current situation on our roadsā€¦ from what I have read in the News and heard on radioā€¦ plus from the horseā€™s mouth (our Gendarmes)

It is felt/it seems too many folk no longer have any respect for Law and Order, let alone the folk who try to uphold itā€¦ so a Cop having a chat is more likely to be derided (albeit behind his back) once the offender has driven off, scot freeā€¦

With so many cameras vandalised etc the Cop in the Carā€™s job is to jolt folk into being reasonable/responsible.

Zero-tolerance towards offendersā€¦ has been widely publicized for monthsā€¦ This will be why a cop will not stay in his warm carā€¦ ZT has to mean just that or it loses its stingā€¦ and folk will ignore the threatā€¦

Though harshā€¦ ZT was brought in due to the excessively high numbers of folk insisting on driving above the limits (possibly in defiance to the 80)ā€¦

Parting with money is non-violent, yet it ā€œhurtsā€ and if it does not deter the offenderā€¦ well that is up to the individualā€¦ hopefully, it does make the majority determined not to transgress againā€¦

3 Likes

Just wondering if the ticket issued to drivers caught speeding in their British registered cars is directly from the French "authorities " or via DVLA, and does it have any licence point implications?

Iā€™m still waiting for my ticket to arrive, 16 days now

No is the answer to the ā€˜points on licence questionā€™ Mark, one of our clients has received four fines over recent weeks relating to French motoring offences (including going through a red light) but has had no loss of points on his UK driving licence.

Thanks Tim, we usually have a few UK guests each year who manage to get themselves flashed, up to now itā€™s never been an issue for them.

From the French Mark.