French air-traffic controllers strike

So, the French air traffic controllers work 32 hour weeks and 100 days a year against 169 days for those in the rest of the European Union. They can retire by the age of 50. This does make them better paid than their counterparts. They are also paid as soon as they start working, rather than being obliged to go through an internship system. They obviously do their job under pressure, as many others do, but I'm not sure that they didn't know about this when they applied.

They are striking because their retirement age could go up and because their bonus system won't.

Nothing spoils a story like a few fcts. i could go on at length as I worked both at Heathrow and Brussels and know all that needs to be known after 43 years. The union bashers will start soon with total ignorance of the real situation.

Really annoying, half-witted Union. All this achieves is to piss people off and cause disruption to families. Do the Union truly believe for a second those in charge care about that!
I say to the Union, stop messing about. If you are truly that hard done by prove it, strike, indefinitely and totally.
They have been doing this stupid on and off strategy for years and achieved... the need for more strikes.

Wrong, wrong and wrong. air Traffic Controllers work shift work 24/7 under considerable stress and the French ATCs are NOT the best paid by a long way. However, safety is of prime concern and the changes being imposed throughout Europe pose a significant threat to air safety. I am a retired controller and got out just in time.

If they were, they wouldn't strike!
It is simply an exercise of their power to ruin every ones holiday and get a free holiday for themselves. USA sacked loads in the 80's and obtained New ones, maybe France ought to do the same!

They are also the best paid in the world. Maybe their coffee breaks are too short?

Spot on Gerald,if they don't like it they should find another job or maybe swap with me for a week!!!!

I do not blame them at all. They are enslaved into working over thirty hours a week. Like all French civil servants they aspire to working a reasonable fifteen hour week, with double the present salary, retire at forty-five and have a pension that is twice the present value. If they are not already paid the thirteenth month they would want that too. It is only fair, after all...