French banks in trouble - can Wine help?

Given the parlous state of French banks and their exposure to imported debt what are your thoughts on withdrawing savings to safeguard such should the banks be nationalised. The European Central Bank is in no state to bail out 26 nations and I fear we may be facing a Greece situation.

2 Likes

That’s all we need…brexiteers winding up a rush on french bannks.

7 Likes

Isn’t natioanlisation more likely to safeguard funds but making a run on the banks will have the reverse effect?
Where would you propose putting your money? Biscuit tin under the bed??

6 Likes

I don’t see him as a brexiteer as you put it. He is speaking the truth.
After 2008 the french banks didn’t change their ways.
The Italian banks are holding so much worthless debts, loans but the bigger picture is that other European banks hold some of this on their books.
Personally it’s going to take a big effort to keep Italy in the Euro as the debt and lack of growth since it joined the Euro isn’t working for them. The only positive thing is it’s nearly impossible to leave the Euro when you have entered.
As for french banks I have no idea, I don’t know if they have a amount which is safeguarded as the UK does(85k)

Where do you take your savings out to? The stock market has crashed, perhaps good buying opportunities long term. The Uk banks I agree are safer but you have exchange rates to factor in. Bonds have sky rocketed so missed the boat. Gold is high and anyone’s guess where it will go over the next year. Property slowly loosing value in France and so many houses for sale,

Of course they do, it’s was a european initiative agreed by the EU in 2014.

8 Likes

That was the last thing @anon20824123 wanted to hear :grin:

7 Likes

Brexiteer comments are getting boring now … it was a perfectly reasonable question.

The UK compensation scheme - FSCS - has been around since 2001

3 Likes

I seem to recall that amounts up to 100KE in most (not all) French bank accounts were guaranteed by the state.(Caisse des Dépôts)…if you have more than 100KE in your account, lucky you !

I was giving a opinion, I realise you can’t have a opinion that is in any way regarded as anti EU or Anti France or anti labour on this site.
But I’m not convinced, the German Banks have more of the worthless debt than french ones but they still have enough.
The EU sets directives but they are not always put into practice. Like the money laundering laws that were suppost to be implemented 2 years ago and only a handful have including the Uk.
Have a good day, I’m gardening, lovely and sunny.

2 Likes

It would be nice to have a fraction of that amount.

1 Like

I didn’t think you cared much or the EU, let alone want to bail a whole country out!

1 Like

Why did you leave the UK, Barrie?

2 Likes

A heads up for investors, one of the best performing portfolios of recent years is vintage wine.

I thought Barrie wasn’t coming back?

3 Likes

We’ve been drinking our way through wines “laid down” in our cellar more than 25 years ago… hic… am delighted to say they are glorious… hic… but you have now got me wondering if we should call a halt and guard such treasures… :shushing_face: :zipper_mouth_face: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :crazy_face: :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Perhaps yours?

1 Like

Fine wines perform well

Mmm… we bought during tours of France, when we had very little money. We enjoyed the free degustations and bought their wines at very low prices “on a promise” as you might say … and we have not been disappointed.

Now retired and, yes, with little money once again … it is a real pleasure to harken back to those carefree days and sip gently on some lovely wines…

However, not everything came from the Chateaux … we still have a bottle bought in Leclerc more than 30 years ago… on special offer thus very, very cheap. We bought one bottle, loved it and raced back to clear the shelf… finding all the locals had the same idea… :hugs: anyway, this wine has not stood the test of time. It did last for several years, delicious stuff… and then we forgot about it and it sat quietly… lost in the gloom of the cellar…

Re-discovering it by chance, we tried a bottle some months ago and had to throw the wine down the sink. Thus the last bottle will never be opened but will stay on the shelf simply as a souvenir… :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

3 Likes

You have asked me this before and I have replied, you really do not like it when someone has a opposing opinion to yourself.
Discussion boards are for discussions, if you do not like someone’s opinion you can give yours or choose to ignore what they say.
Some people start to talk down to others and make remarks about them which is very childish and immature, we are in a land of free speech, let’s keep it that way.
Have a good afternoon.

4 Likes