French citizenship for over 60

This was the point where, when reading, I wondered if someone would butt in with a forceful “No, you may not.”

But alas that was not the case so I continued on, and now I need a lie down, I’m not sleeping, just resting my eyes, or perhaps that should be resting the “nose” since I now knows that French definitely use more the “nose”. :nose:

2 Likes

Yes, eyes were suffering a bit. Let’s be honest and not allow it. We weren’t born knowing how to mow, among everything : gentle yet willingful evolution for Everyone ! Just to give a little hand to brave ones,

Nose, as you mentioned, REST it : not too much please…not too much. Clothespin or snorkel are not meant to be in a bakery, just private practice in private space…unless. Bet you wouldn’t ?

2 Likes

Thank you Jane.
A) I am not talking about pre-2000 for over ´60´s
B) I am both resident for 35 years, a fluent French speaker, and a dual national since 2020.
Throughout both process’ my language skills were never tested. There was no mention of an exam.
I have recently assisted a couple of English lads in Dieppe to get their residency status confirmed - one of which spoke French and the other, not a word.
No questions or exams for them either.
They like me, are Brexiteers. One has to adapt to the situation.
To be further unpopular on the chat group, I am a firm Boris supporter and fear for the future of the UK. God forbid if Starmer or the Lib loonies have anything to do with it.
Not that we are much better here with what is on the political agenda. My vote was for Marine, the only realistic candidate for the future of the French Republic without being totally engulfed by the Mastodon that calls itself the CEE.

There you have my views and I fully expect a torrent of drivel from other writers on this forum to shoot me down in flames because I dare to comment against the flow.
Cordialement,
Glenn

1 Like

Profitez bien de tous les avantages accordés par l’Union Européenne aux citoyens de ses états-membres. Je trouve votre attitude quand même assez hypocrite, mais bon chacun sa came et on ne va pas en venir aux mains pour ça.

“the Mastodon that calls itself the CEE

Hasn’t done that since 1986.

9 Likes

I hope you won’t get any abuse but at the same time would trust you will allow me and others to ‘prod’ a little.

For a start I don’t get the rationale behind obtaining French nationality (which gets you FOM) when you are supporter of Brexit, is this just for personal convenience?

The other thing that baffles me is the support of Johnson, a man who is a proven liar and a joke as a PM, perhaps you would say why you support him please.

1 Like

C’est donc avéré ce que disent les gens du RN sur les immigrés. On en laisse rentrer un, ils en font venir d’autres et ça ne parle même pas français.

5 Likes

Of course not. You are completely missing the point (no surprise you are a Brexiteer then - not abuse, just experience)

The young men in were presumably just getting their carte de séjour. A very different matter than permanent residency.

And rules have changed since your era.

4 Likes

Well, you are entitled to your opinion, of course.

BUT

How do you defend yourself against the (quite reasonable IMO) accusation of hypocrisy?

You have lived in France since roughly 1987, based on the freedom that the EU gave you to so do, no doubt. Then based on that residency you applied for French nationality (post referendum, I note) - thus completely insulating yourself from the effects of your desire for the UK to leave the EU (I presume that you couldn’t vote in the referendum owning to the 15 year rule).

Thus you would gladly deny others use of the freedoms of which you yourself made use.

As for being a Johnson supporter - I know some still think the sun shines out of his a*se but the man has single handedly dragged the UK into the mire.

But I suppose you don’t really care, sitting in France with your French passport, as I said, insulating you from the consequences of what would have been your actions had you voted in 2016.

11 Likes

I’ll add that getting your French passport post referendum really does seem to be the cherry on top - you didn’t feel a pressing need to be French for almost 30 years, but suddenly went all “zut alors” when faced with losing your European citizenship, precisely the thing you wanted everyone in the UK to lose.

13 Likes

Are you a mate of Stanley Johnson ? :wink:

7 Likes

Will the real Stanley Johnson please stand up? :rofl:

5 Likes

Soooo, where was I….
Getting everyone’s leg up because I dare to have an alternative view.
I have always had a close relationship with France since I was a child in the sixties and have worked most of my life for French companies although now I seem to spend more time in the uk on my latest project.
My choice of country in which to live is within the framework of the Brexit agreement and whilst I have dual nationality for convenience I will always be British and very proud of it. Lifestyle is one thing and politics is another. I am sure that I will be labelled a hypocrite and probably worse, but I really couldn’t give a fig. I don’t believe that Boris is any more of a liar than Starmer, Blair, Sarkozy, Hollande, or Macron. They are all politicians in it for their own benefit. How can anyone trust a president with a tranny wife? Don’t tell me that Starmer wasn’t also breaking rules with his curry and pint party even though he was protected by his leftie pals in the police force. They are all at it in some way,.
You cannot get away from the fact that Boris was the most populat pm in a long time which was proven by his majority. I would take a bet that if he were up for election as pm again, that he would still win with a tidy majority. He gets things done, is clear about his desires for the UK and disliked by Macron (which in itself should give Boris huge kudos).
Anyway, I would just like it known that there are alternative views on SF but many are unwilling to express their views for fear of being ostracised.
Bon, pour moi j’en ai rien à branler et mes idées malgré les commentaires sont inchangés.
Belle soirée à tout le monde
Glenn

3 Likes

Actually, I might look up Stanley for an aperitif ou deux!

You approve of wife beating as well as Brexit. It just gets better.

1 Like

@Glenn_Dudley, thanks for the ‘alternative view’.

You are free to express your opinion and entitled to live your life as you see fit but as I’m sure you realise because you are at odds with the majority on SF (and don’t give a fig) there is very little room for discussion.

4 Likes

Indeed not.

Especially when having ignored the whole thing as a load of weird waffle last night I just actually bothered to scan it through and see there’s an hateful slur in the middle bizarrely referring to someone’s wife that probably should have been challenged 8 hours ago if it wasn’t such a late hour. I’m not sure that we tolerate things like that on here?

7 Likes

FFS….that’s the sort of rubbish one gets on CNews.

I don’t care if he is a member, who knows might learn something about humanity and ethics, but needs to keep his fingers off the keyboard.

3 Likes

Back, rather than leg, surely?

That’s where your belief is wrong.

And where do we start with that little gem?? Untrue (and even if it weren’t, who cares?)

I don’t think ostracism is necessarily what you have to worry about.

9 Likes

I’m going to leave it to @cat to decide whether that one is against site T&C

I don’t think that Glenn’s arguments hold water, nor do I think that he has defended himself in any way against the charge of hypocrisy - but it is clear from his “doesn’t give a fig” comment that he doesn’t care to do so.

So I’m with Tim, attempting debate is futile, so I am just left to say:

11 Likes