French citizenship for over 60

Well, I am going to leave that one in play as (as far as I know…!), no former or current Presidents are site members.

And more to the point, it is so completely and utterly barking mad that it provides an excellent indication of why no one should even bother engaging with the poster in question.

9 Likes

I shook Sarko’s hand once, does that count?

2 Likes

Haha, I did have a chuckle at this nugget when I read it. What evidence is there of this silent majority? If they’re unwilling to express their views, how does Glenn know what they’re thinking? Or are there some covert meetings being held somewhere where the topic of conversation is the anti-Brexit bias of SF and how best to topple this fascist regime?

2 Likes

My issue was never whether the accusation was offensive or not, that’s just obvious nonsense, but rather that the word Tr#nny is deeply offensive to the vast majority of the LGBT community, akin to f#ggot, n#gger, p#ki, or ch#nky to their respective groups. The fact that the poster just casually threw it in there says all you need to know, but unless things really have gone back to a time where it’s ok to use vile terms about people, the much spoken of dinner party etiquette is presumably a dinner party at Bernard Manning’s house…

9 Likes

Isn’t someone being sued in France for making that outrageous statement?
I think the author of that statement on SF is in some peril of his citizenship being annulled should it come to notice in official circles…

Could there well be legal implications on SF for allowing its publication?

Yes quite.

3 Likes

Well, yes, which makes the whole thing offensive on both a personal (even if not SF member) point of view and using homo- or trans- phobic language.

But I suspect Glenn was true to his word when he said he did not give a fig

It seems this is a possibility.

1 Like

Sorry @kirsteastevenson but as it is an abbreviation of transgender why is it so offensive? Also as all the # words you mention are plain enough for all to see, what’s the point? I remember a time when some people got hot under the collar at Jock, Paddy, Taffy and Pom.

It is the false allegation that is offensive not the word used to describe it. We might as well start saying E#glish when being offensive about people from England.

Because transgender people deem it so.

2 Likes

Because it is almost never used as an abbreviation of transgender to transgender people, but as an insult spat at them before they are verbally or physically attacked. As someone with Pakistani family I can also say that the same is true in their experience of the P word, it is never ever said to them in anything other than a hateful sense, and that is also purely an abbreviation.

I used the hash symbol because I would never, ever use those words myself, either verbally or written, but I needed to get the point across and with a wide variety of people from different ages, backgrounds etc I felt it was prudent to be more obvious than “the f word, the n word, the c word” particularly because there are more famous f-words or c-words. Perhaps I should have made the words less obvious, I’d have preferred to, but I was trying to make it as obvious to others as possible what I was referring to without using the words. Maybe I made the wrong call.

4 Likes

It isn’t just that though is it, originally it was an abbreviation for transvestite which was quickly turned to an insult. Anyway like so many terms if you aren’t in the group concerned then chances are it won’t be felt as harmless.
cf my homie greeting me by saying yo bitch and some rando saying the same thing.

1 Like

deleted

There’s some far-right and far-left sexist shizzle going round saying Macron is gay, Mrs Macron is a man etc etc etc and it is obviously moronic and offensive and obv in any case who cares but as it is an outright lie designed to denigrate because they can’t cope with a bloke being married to someone 25years older, let alone a successful one.

7 Likes

There’s a weird far-right internet trope to call everyone who isn’t classically beautiful or of their ideal feminine proportions trans, because in their hateful world being trans is an negative and so it’s a cheap insult. They did it with Michelle Obama for years because she’s tall and has features they don’t consider feminine. I don’t frequent far-right internet but I’m assuming from the comment there’s a similar one about Brigitte Macron. I don’t think the originators ever actually believe it, it’s just a way to stoke up more hate towards someone they don’t like for other reasons, but perhaps a few of the followers believe it. It only ever seems to happen towards people on the left, having met and interacted with quite a few trans people over the years, Melania Trump has a lot of the same features but I never saw them mention her oddly, even more odd given there is a thriving industry in the former Yugoslavian countries for trans surgery. But that doesn’t fit their narrative so she’s femininity personified I guess.

6 Likes

And still get hot under the colour at many of them. To use the full word, in a proper context, is ok with many (not all of course). But to abbreviate and infantilise a word as use it is an abuse is not.

4 Likes

I am sorry if I have upset anybody on this site - that is not my intention. My comments merely reflect the world as I see it.

I am perhaps mischievous in provoking comment on this site because of the constant UK political bashing when I can’t see any better in France or the whole of the EU.

We were (nearly) all UK residents at one stage of life and have chosen France as our home. I am certainly not here for the political environment and I believe that Macron is the worst president that we have had (even after Flanby and Sarko). Perhaps rumours are true or maybe not, but one forms a view in one’s mind and it is an alternative view.

Transvestism is a regular deal in Brighton where I come from and nobody has ever been offended by using the abbreviation. Tranny is neither derogatory nor an insult - quite the contrary, the term is coined and used by their own community.

My one criticism of this group is the obsession with being politically correct. I am quite happy to leave the site if my comments are found to be offensive or unwanted. However my perception of the world may be different tot others on this site but nonetheless valid.

There are some very useful articles and comments on the site for those needing help to survive France, but condescending comments do deserve a bit of leg pulling and light entertainment.

Belle soirée à tout le monde,
Glenn

1 Like

Sorry didn’t realise you are in the remould gang yourself in which case for your photo you could zhuzh yourself up with a dolly switch and some bona aunt nelly fakes so we don’t get the wrong idea.

1 Like

N****er is used within the Black community but it’s still universally seen as offensive and ‘Tranny’ is just the same.

6 Likes

I think you’ll find that the majority dont give a shit about being politically “correct”.

4 Likes

I’m sorry Glenn, I, like you, am from B&H, well, just outside but it’s what my passport says, and, quite frankly, while I don’t condone violence if you EVER said that word to any of Brighton’s trans people aside from the oldest and stupidest you’d be off to the dentist to get some new teeth for starters. Next time you’re in town I’ll set you up with a meeting with a few of my friends and they can let you know exactly what they think of what you have just said, hopefully calmly and without resorting to violence. Honestly, I’ve never heard such desperate claptrap in all my life.

This is not correct. The term actually originated with drag, so cis gendered (non trans) heterosexual and homosexual men, in the 1960s, and has pretty much always been an negative term as, as I’ve already said previously, it is something that is rarely used outside of a situation where someone is being insulted, or worse. There have of course been times, and people, who have attempted to ‘reclaim’ the word to make it less hurtful and hateful but for the last 15 odd years it’s never been anything but a completely pejorative word.

Incidentally, as you’re from Brighton Glenn, next time you go back pop into the Museum of Transology which is a permanent exhibit in the main museum in the pavilion gardens. It sounds like you could do with some basic trans education, much more so since you’re embarrassingly letting down our hometown.

Incidentally

I’ve never known there to be a transvestism scene in brighton. Obviously a big LGBT scene, a big drag scene, there’s even that club for men who dress up as dogs that you see being taken for a walk on a lead on a Saturday afternoon down North St, but I’ve never known a much of a transvestism scene, so I can only assume you know more about it than I do and we have got to the root cause of all this nonsense :eyes:

7 Likes