French CSG on UK investment income post Brexit

There is much in what you say, but I wondered if it would give us any extra rights in France, but I don’t know that it does.

@David_Rosemont, have you paid social charges on your UK investment income before?

I do not think you are actually paying any “extra” compared to a French person with equivalent investments in France, are you? Say the property you rent out was in France not the UK I think you would pay exactly the same social charges.
It is true that people who benefit from an exoneration do not lose any rights because of the exoneration, but that is not how exonerations work.

Is this about nationality or affiliation to the French social security system?

Others know much more than me but I think it is safe to say that basically the factors that make you liable are a combination of being resident in France, and the source/type of income. Then there are certain factors or combinations of factors which if you meet them you should be exonerated. Possibly nationality and affilication to the French social security system come into play there but it does not seem to be as simple as that.

I was not thinking about health insurance because that is taken care of. I was simply wondering if it made access possible to similar benefits that exist in the UK, like a widow’s pension, death benefit etc. I mention this because I am quite a bit older than my wife who is a French citizen, I had assumed that if I die here in France she will not have access to any widow’s benefits etc from the UK. It’s a complicated area I have no experience of. If I start paying CSG here does that entitle her to any such rights? It seems clear that exonerations will no longer apply post Brexit.

At the reduced rate, so it will add about 10%, and it has to be based on the taxable income in the UK after deduction of legitimate expenses but before income tax deductions at source on rental income. I should add that I never worked in France, only in the UK, and retired to France.

UK benefits for those in the EU are entirely a matter of the UK government so you need to look at Benefits and pensions for UK nationals in the EU, EEA or Switzerland - GOV.UK for benefits.
As pointed out by Sandcastle, paying CSG etc does not give you any social care benefits. It is basically a tax by another name.
Hasn’t your wife ever made payments into the French system so accumulated her own rights?

Ah I see,
As I understand it, these literally are “social” payments that go into the national pots and are spent on national projects, they are not related to individual rights.
It would seem unfair if having paid NICs all your working life in the UK you cannot then claim from the UK the benefits you paid for. But increasingly I wonder what does fairness have to do with it.

I think it’s important that the situation is clarified as I found this earlier which seems to differ from the advise David has been given by his Avocat Fiscale, assuming of course I’ve read things correctly. :wink:

1 Like

Do they give a money back guarantee if having read their blog and got your hopes up, you ask them to represent you and get your money back, and pay their fees, and they fail? :wink:

Probably not. :smiley:

I’m going to ask my neighbour to look into this, she’s an accountant with a large firm so it will interesting to see what they say.

Are we absolutely sure about private pension exemption ? Isn’t the proceeds of a private pension just investment income ?

If you and she have Withdrawal Agreement CdS’s then the DWP has a section on “Exportable Benefits” on gov.uk you could google up to find as a starter.

If the Benefits you’re interested in are not there, I’ve noticed that some bits on gov.uk give only the current situation, ie they don’t always seem to refer to beneficiaries of the WA having better older previously existing terms being retained. So in that case could be worth further checking.

This again is the French Government statement on CSG, etc. from Fiscalité-EN - brexit I assume it will stand until it is challenged in court

• What will the UK’s position be regarding social levies on income from assets ?
  • From 1 January 2021, UK residents will no longer be exempt from the general social security contribution (CSG) or the social security debt repayment contribution (CRDS) assessed on income from assets, since the UK will no longer be subject to European Regulation (EC) No 883/2004 on the coordination of social security systems.
    As a result, income from assets will be subject to social levies at an overall rate of 17.2%.

There is no mention of any change in pensions of S1 holders.

The section Rentes viagères versées à la sortie d’un produit d’épargne retraite on this page https://www.demarches.interieur.gouv.fr/particuliers/comment-imposees-rentes-viageres-titre-onereux gives examples of French investments which are counted as pensions.

see also this page on various pensions TSG holding | The Spectrum IFA Group

Interesting. Have put their name in my contact book in case our notaire retracts…

May be happening more quickly than we thought……

Edit: apparently the Insider gets grumpy if their articles are cut and pasted, so have just left the main paragraphs

“The French government have accepted that UK nationals can benefit from lower social charges on investment income and property gains, opening the door for claims.

That is precisely what has now happened, for in a recent revision of their guidance notes on Brexit the French tax authority state that UK based non-residents can continue to benefit from lower social charges on investment income/gains, and capital gains on the sale of property, stating:

'Toutefois, eu égard aux accords de sortie du Royaume-Uni de l’Union européenne signés les 12 novembre 2019 et 30 décembre 2020, cette exonération est maintenue pour les revenus du patrimoine perçus à compter du 1er janvier 2021 pour les contribuables qui remplissent les conditions suivantes :

• Ils sont affiliés à la sécurité sociale britannique ;
    • Ils sont ressortissants ou résidents légaux de France, du Royaume-Uni ou d’un autre Etat membre de l’Union européenne ;
    • Ils ne sont pas à la charge d’un régime obligatoire de sécurité sociale français.

En conséquence, ces revenus du patrimoine ne seront pas soumis à la CSG et à la CRDS mais demeureront passibles du prélèvement de solidarité au taux de 7,5 % prévu à l’article 235 ter du CGI.’”

I am confused. It is talking about non residents but does it mean non-residents from the UK point of view ie they don’t live in the UK, or non-residents from France’s point of view ie they don’t live in France.

Clear as mud isn’t it? If the paragraph in French applies then it applies to us even if there is non- resident in the heading?

1 Like

I’ve just found this is the document the extract is from (dated 14Jan2022)

The three bullet points in French do seem to apply to UK residents in France and presumably will mean those with an S1 or able to claim an S1 in the future because of residence before 31 Dec 2020?

1 Like