French electrical question about regs

Which is dubious practice as a member of an EU state.

I doubt there is any fact based evidence to support the contention by @KarenLot that non-French tradesmen’s installations would be refused certification.

I’ve used the following company:

and this one for ‘period’ ceiling roses etc

2 Likes

The notes say that the installation had to be *completely* to the relevant standard - so a couple of BS1363 sockets would not do, it would have had to have been a complete installation to BS 7671.

Which, of course the Consuel would never certify - they’d cite unfamiliarity I bet - and no French electrician would touch for the same reason.

Legrand is a very well respected brand. It’s used throughout our installation. From the GTL (Gaine Technique de Logement), its equipments, through to lights, switches and sockets throughout.
Here in the Charente,the Legrand offices are based in Limoges about 40 clicks away.

2 Likes

My 2 waterproof sockets and 2 waterproof switches are all Legrand
 so I’m very safe.

Umm, unless the other properties are linked on the same dis board earth or strangely you use the same earth for other properties in your community , I don’t understand
 One thing to remember is don’t earth your house to a very much lower ohm than the EDF grid’ lightning strikes can be very dangerous if so!

1 Like

I read it somewhere, can’t now remember where - but it concerned (in the countryside anyway) transformers up poles, the switches for which being triggered in the event of an “incident”. It required a response from ERDF (now ENEDIS?) to respond IIRC to push the switch back up to restore power to the discrete section of properties affected.
Must confess to not being an expert on this
 just recalling what I believe I read (but some time ago).

So, nothing to do with house or property earthing.

All I know is the comments we heard Graham.

We’ve certainly had situations like that here. could hardly believe it when a friend told me what he had to do “if a storm took out the electrics” for his corner of the commune.

Not quite
 IIRC it a safety net for when a weak or compromised property earth fails to trigger. Some older properties suffer this way when the earth rod has all but disintegrated. I’ll look to see if I can find the reference tomorrow -I have a feeling I know where it cam from.

Stick to things you know about! You’ll be scaring quite a few people by now!

1 Like

a tad harsh

Electrics are dangerous and there’s nothing wrong in recounting things you have read about. As I said, I think I know where the reference came from and I’ll look it up tomorrow.

1 Like

Yes, but ElectricitĂ© can kill and I know what I’m talking about.

1 Like

so does my qualified electrician who also explained how it works when I asked him.
I can’t see there is anything I have said here which diminishes the importance of handling electrics with absolute care.
People should rightly be concerned and seek professional and qualified help on these matters.
I’ve said nothing different throughout.

Writing electrical scope of works was part of my day job, be careful what you write as many people myself included, respect you for other matters and may take what you write on electrical matters seriously.

I’m really hoping (while obviously not at the same time) that this is for the reason it sounds like, namely that you are the forum’s resident ghoul speaking to us from the afterlife having had
 an incident
 with electricity. That would really perk this thread up :laughing:

3 Likes

I am extremely careful with my words. I regret I can’t back up what I have written thus far with more technical data (will look for the references tomorrow as I outlined) but I can’t see that I have written anything that endangers anyone reading what has been written or suggested by me so far.
If you see this differently, please let me know and I will correct it.
I would absolutely never recommend anyone play around with something as dangerous as electricity without the proper supervision, respect and care it deserves and will always suggest that people seek appropriate advice and guidance and have done so consistently.
Thanks for your confidence on other matters, much appreciated.

Sadly, this was one of the the reasons I started to work for major Airo /spacial companies. Before they employed an architect for major works which sub’d out and relied on IngĂ©nieurs for the scope of technical works, from what I saw afterwards, the companies involved didn’t use official companies to control the calculations, it was a nice little earner whilst it lasted. Until
 Someone was killed, by placing a spanner near a 7mw source, that also knocked out the power supply to most of Versailles. VĂ©lisy and Meudon.

1 Like