French hire car, British licence?

Hi everyone, After 12 years back in the UK, I am planning a trip to clean and then sell my house. I was planning to travel by train then hire a car but this evening, it struck me that my British driving licence may not be accepted. Does anyone have recent experience of this? Thanks in advance.

Why would it be a problem? Non resident Brits hire cars in France all the time.

You might want to print out a copy of the summary information - https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence but if I recall correctly the last time I hired a vehicle in France they didn’t ask for it (Europcar).

Thanks for that information, I thought things might be different post_Brexit.

1 Like

Your UK driving licence is fully legal in France, as long as it’s valid. If you hold the photocard licence then no International Driving Permit required.

Most hire car companies are ok with UK licences, especially the bigger ones.

1 Like

Thank you :smile:

1 Like

I know of two people who allegedly needed to show this code thing, so maybe get it anyway. Also remember to pay with a credit card as opposed to a debit card.

As well to be prepared for anything, as advised by others, even policemen are human( :roll_eyes:), I was told by Devon and Cornwall police in the middle of the night that my French licence wasn’t valid in England. And this was pre-Brexit. :astonished: :rofl:

Thanks David, I know what you mean! When I was living in France, our local postmistress wanted to send a parcel at international rates because they didn’t realise that the UK was, at that time, part of the EU!