French Hospitals - figures - controls 21st Dec - 31st Dec

Luckily we have seen nobody and been nowhere.
Thank you all very much!

4 Likes

Hope you don’t all get it. My niece (13) had it and no-one else in her immediate family got it from her so it’s not inevitable. Fingers crossed for you.
Izzy x

2 Likes

Similar situation to us, 4 generations at Christmas, regroupement dans l’aveyron (de l’aveyron, du tarn et de l’aude), and three are already positive
! :fearful: Fortunately we had limited the gathering a little but we’ve all been back to work since

This month (December), the Bordeaux University Hospital Intensive-Care Unit (Reanimation) had to refuse more than 110 sick people (who needed their care) 
 because they were swamped with Covid-19 patients, none of whom had received the triple-vax

and I bet they’re not the only Hospital which is overloaded

It makes you despair.

https://www.ouest-france.fr/sante/virus/coronavirus/direct-covid-19-le-monde-s-apprete-a-basculer-en-2022-le-variant-omicron-aussi-8a594f92-6a00-11ec-9da5-9e0945e11e49

232,000?
Where did that come from?
I have thought broadly people in France were being cautious.

Not sure why UK is only reporting 190,000 now. I can’t see any reason why the rate of increase would be slower there : rather, quite the opposite.

You make it sound like a competition :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Both countries have been reporting huge numbers for several days now. France also has a lot more people in hospital sadly.
Izzy x

1 Like

as the article goes on to say
 the rising number of tests is providing rising numbers of cases

until folk accept it is highly contagious and therefor limit their activities/mixing/whatever plus continue to take precautions
 rather than assuming Vax will handle everything (as I suspect many still do) 
 I reckon we will continue to see these figures rising
 and, sadly, even if “it is only mild”
 it is deadly serious for some.

4 Likes

Or get vaccinated.

2 Likes

No, tim17, sadly getting vaccinated is not sufficient.

A vaccinated person can still catch Covid, especially Omicron, whether or not they personally have symptoms, and transmit it just as readily.

There’s the danger, especially until we have a better idea of ratios of infected:hospitalised:reanimation(ICU): deaths.

I’m just as hopeful as you and others here, that a comprehensively spreading Omicron variant that doesn’t hurt too many people will finally push out the nastier versions so Omicron could be the swansong of continuing (rather than seasonal) Covid.

But we just don’t know enough yet. And some people are medically unable to vaccinate and have a right to be considered while we all hope for the end of this.

1 Like

I’m sure @Tim wasn’t poking at those who really are unable to have the vaccine - for legitimite health reasons.

I know that when I’m complaining about non-vaxed, (and there are several in my small village
 aaargh)
 I’m talking about those who dratted well won’t NOT those who can’t.

1 Like

4 million adults in France are unvaccinated, they can’t all be ‘medically unable’.

1 Like

One of my nearest neighbours (fortunately over a km away and a second home) refuses to get vaccinated as he thinks the whole covid pandemic is a scam. Some french friends in our commune won’t get vaccinated as their disabled (Downs syndrome) son is terrified of needles - I can’t work it out either.

That’s their views and they ain’t budging from them. We now have nothing to do with them.

1 Like

Vaccination doesn’t seem to stop Omicron, we’re all vaccineted but have half of our extended family positive at the moment, nobody ill or badly ill but i can count 8 known positives and the other half haven’t been tested . Everyone’s active; working or school and now m’y employee’s phoned me because her husband is positive. Best way forward for everbody vaccineted is to carry on regardless unless you are ill, that’s the advice of one of the doctors on BFM too. It should work itself through France in no time at all and then we’ll be clear february march time ready for the next varient
! :scream:

1 Like

No, some are right tw@ts, a customer was boasting the other day that she isn’t
 She’s in her 60s, overweight and has two family in hospital who aren’t vaccinated either, both with covid.

You have to wonder what goes on inside someone like thats head, knowing that she has family in hospital with Covid.

2 Likes

Let’s just be clear
 I hate needles

Our pharmacy are used to me be an absolute baby when it come to the Flu Jab. I look resolutely at the ceiling or keep my eyes closed until the horror is over.

and the local vampires know that I am terrified when I have to have blood tests done and they sooth me as they would a quaking child.

I was quite open about my fears, when I met the Doctor at Perigueux for my first vax
 and she made a point of being so kind
 and I never actually saw a needle being waved about.

similarly with the other 2 jabs

Thus anyone who is refusing vaccination due to fear/phobia of needles can be dealt with sympathetically, if they make their fears known.

They aren’t afraid of the needle, it’s their son who is, but for some reason it’s stopping the parents getting vaccinated. They had no answer when I asked them who would care for the disabled son if they caught the plague and died