French light switches

Every time we have moved which has been too often one of my first jobs is to change all the lights and put up our own light shades. This has never been a problem until now. We’ve been here nearly two years now and I still haven’t managed to get the dining room light fixed. The original which I’ve cut down was a candelabra type thing with 6 light bulbs. There’s two switches one switch puts on three lights and the other the remaining three. So now there is just one cable to which I’ve connected a normal light socket but I can’t get it to work. It could just be me as my eyesight for close work is not good but I’m just wondering if there is something here that I’m not aware of causing the problem.

Before you changed it was it possible to have each set of 3 lamps on separately or did you always have to have one on before you could add the other?

I think one on before the other

OK, if my theory is right then you will need both light switches on to get your single fitting to work.

If that does work then swap the live you are using at the fitting for the other one & it will come on with just the one/the first switch.

A photo of the inside of the switches (i.e. showing connections) would be helpful.

2 Likes

I think @Badger is suggesting the original wiring was

If you’ve wound up converting this to

You will need both switches to be “on”.

1 Like

“swtich” - oh, FFS :rofl:

3 Likes

I thought you were being witty and ‘switching’ the letters :wink:

1 Like

That’s what I assumed would happen but it didn’t. I was surprised at how flimsy and fragile the light sockets are so maybe I should try to get something more solid. I suppose the only way to check is to buy a meter and check every combination of the two switches until I get a complete circuit? I don’t claim to have any knowledge of electrical wiring and am very cautious as to what I try

Will get a photo of the switches next week. Thanks for any help you can give as it is s bit frustrating!

Exactly that. Time prevented me doing a diagram.

Which might be the cue to find a competent person to look at it.

3 Likes

I looked at it for several seconds thinking “no, that’s not quite right” before figuring out what the problem actually was.

Its catching.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nintendo-Switch-Neon-Red-Blue/dp/B01N4NBHPM

1 Like

I thought it sounded a bit Welsh so I put it into Google translate and it came back with ‘suitcase’ :thinking::grin:

1 Like

That’s just Google translate being overly generous and turning garbage into, well, more garbage.

It isn’t a Welsh word, in fact it does not seem to be a word in any language (which is perhaps a feat in itself).

Yes, I know it’s not Welsh, I just found it amusing.

1 Like