French Ordonnance Use in Spain

??? S1 only gives you want any French person would receive, so from 0 -100% but generally 65% for drugs.

Yes but Iā€™m in ALD territory so Ireland picks up the total cost.

But for those who arenā€™t it is perhaps important not to give the impression that an S1 provides 100% cover, as it doesnā€™t.

I didnā€™t ā€œgive the impression that an S1 provides universal 100% coverā€ā€¦ Jane :roll_eyes: However I did give an idea on how to work within the rules to end up with sufficient drugs for a sejour abroad.

As I have often mentioned, stating the rules, which is very important, is one thing, coming up with solutions and workarounds based on real (French) world practices is another :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Er, yes you didā€¦.

Workarounds are good, but need to start from the actual position.

MĆ©decins dā€™exception, which I think might be what OP is talking about and which I have, can only be dispensed at 4 week intervals. Others yes one can renew early, but they get a bit difficult about these ones.

Jane, thatā€™s what Iā€™d call mutually exclusive :slightly_smiling_face: My ā€œabout ā‚¬300 a month and are covered 100% via my S1ā€ is factually correct and implies nothing. Iā€™ve given my advice and youā€™ve given yours, hopefully both add value to the discussion and all ends well. :slightly_smiling_face:

@MsDoo if you know where in Spain you will be stayingā€¦ it might ease your mind to speak with the Pharmacy at that placeā€¦ and talk things through with themā€¦ :+1:

Surely got to be worth a tryā€¦

1 Like

Thank you Stella. I will definitely do that, but I am planning very far ahead and wont be going until next winter, at the earliest. Currently have no idea exactly where, either. So really just asking for anyoneā€™s experience of having to pay up front really, as it will be cost prohibitive if I do.

fair enoughā€¦ letā€™s hope someone has had ā€œthe experienceā€ā€¦

Incidentally, these daysā€¦ weather in Alicante seems just as unpredictable as our French weatherā€¦ :wink:

not sure that anywhere can guarantee ā€œheatā€

1 Like

One can hope. The reason I labour this point is not to piss you off, but because I have often come across people who have moved to France thinking that having an S1 will cover their health costs. And are taken aback when it doesnā€™t. And squeezed financially as this was not something they budgeted for.

Threads hang around in the ether forever, so best if they are clear.

5 Likes

yepā€¦ I can confirm this sort of ā€œblinkeredā€ mindsetā€¦ and some of them get all huffy with me when/if I gently put them straightā€¦ :wink:

Just a thoughtā€¦ going out of Franceā€¦ Travel Health Accident Insurance really should be part of the cost-calculationsā€¦ not something to skimp onā€¦ :crossed_fingers: :+1:

Quite a common misconception with the EHIC too.

3 Likes