French Ordonnance Use in Spain

I am hoping to start spending the colder months (3) in Spain. However, I am using a medication that is quite expensive and requires refrigeration & is only dispensed a month at a time. I know the medication is available in Spain, and the EU treaty says that ordonnances are permitted to be used across borders, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience of this. Did you have to pay up front? Any hints or tips you can share would be much appreciated. Many thanks.

Realising that I’m answering a different question, I have had a French prescription filled in the UK so it should be possible. Not sure if you’d need to pay the full price though.

1 Like

Thanks John.

General things are ok, so shouldn’t be an issue as long as all the information is on the prescription. Is it a médecin d’exception? The more controlled drugs that are on the different brown ordonnance? That maybe more difficult to get a pharmacy to accept.

Here’s some information. But maybe phone ahead to the pharmcy you will use and check.

1 Like

Thank you Jane. I have read this before, but what I can’t seem to find is wether full payment will be needed. I have an ALD in France & my medication is paid for in full. The item I require is approx 600€ per month, so not an insignificant amount to pay then possibly claim back. I may try the CPAM helpline.

Do you have your Carte Vitale and the “travel” version… either UK or French ???

1 Like

Gut feeling that if you’re calling people to enquire you may wish to keep your plans general till you’ve had some answers or guidance they may be able to refer you to.

Reason being of course it depends on your own status and situation, but I would take a guess that answers may be different depending on whether you would be regarded as just a visitor elsewhere, or temporarily resident, or permanently resident at any particular time. Not sure if a continuous period of 3 months makes a difference to anything at either end, or if 6 months would, say, but for sure a year would. So whilst you’re researching perhaps consider your plans fluid in terms of length of visit or stay somehere till you know more?

I’d be very interested to hear what answers you get. But as a starter I might want a reserve plan to come home once per month and try to see if there’s any option to carry a small extra buffer stock?

2 Likes

@MsDoo you might also wish to consider the new residency’ restrictions that are being implemented by the Spanish Government, a brief description here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXo4x-bwEJA

1 Like

I am looking at a maximum of 3 months because I am resident in France with a UK passport. Therefore I am only allowed 90 days in 180 out of my country of residence, without a VISA. I have a Carte Vitale and a UK GHIC card because of my S1 status. I will be in the South of Spain because I want it as warm as possible to help my medical condition. I had toyed with driving up to the boarder every month to get my supply, but Spain is a big country! I will definitely try the CPAM helpline and keep you posted on my progress and results. I just thought I would pick the brains of the very knowledgeable forum members first. Thank you all for your replies :pray:

1 Like

What an irritating video!! Never got to find out new rules as had to press stop after a few sentences.

I feel your pain, mine are just under €1000 which makes me eternally gratefully for the ALD system. Have you talked to your pharmacy here, as mine will give me more drugs as an exception. I’ve not gone away for three months, but did do a six week trip which meant I needed more and they were ok about that. (They also gave me a medical cool bag for transport!)

One other option if pharmacy or CPAM says it will be an issue would be to see if your doctor can give you a referral to a Spanish doctor so can get a prescription issued there.

2 Likes

We had just arrived at a holiday apartment in Spain, OH realised he had forgotten a vital medication that he had recently been prescribed in France. We took the prescription and his CEAM to a farmacia and they were happy to supply it. We did have to pay for it. Full price - Around 80€ I think.
I’m afraid I don’t remember, but I think we must have claimed it back once in France.

4 Likes

Did the spanish pharmacy give you an official receipt for the payment albeit only a smallish sum…

I’m just thinking that 600 euro is a lot for @MsDoo to fork out and be unable to substantiate a claim :wink: I reckon for such a large sum they would do so…

2 Likes

I’m sorry Stella I don’t remember. It may be that we just paid it and made sure we never forgot our medication again!
Definitely worth asking for a receipt if that’s possible.

2 Likes

Thank you Fleur.

1 Like

Agreed. Our local pharmacy has a sign up saying exactly that. But they ask for a month’s notice beforehand, to be on the safe side.

1 Like

I do hope you sort out your problem MsDoo, get hold of the medication, and have a great time in Spain !

1 Like

I have had my supply early before, for trips away, but I would be surprised if they would give me extra, especially for travelling. The meds need to be kept between 2 & 8°C at all times. I would be concerned that I could keep it cold while driving to Spain, unless I invest in a travel fridge. It’s definitely a thought though, thank you. I think my first port of call will be CPAM. Fortunately, I am planning ahead for next year, so have plenty of time.

1 Like

Mine are the same. The travel cooler that my pharmacy gave me (bless them as they cost well over €100) keeps them at 4 degrees for 36 hours using frozen gels blocks. I did an overnight journey with it that was just under 36 hours and it was fine. Also, once at room temperature my drugs do have a reasonable shelf life.

Good to plan ahead, do let us know. Who knows I might go away next winter!

1 Like

Thanks Jane. I’ll keep you posted :hugs:

My meds add up to about €300 a month and are covered 100% via my S1. In the past I’ve filled a French prescription in Ireland and an Irish Prescription here. No problems with the prescriptions but I did have to pay for the drugs. I’ve an Irish EHIC but I didn’t present it here and I’m not sure if it would have entitled me to any contribution towards filling my Irish prescription. It may be worth checking what the GHIC will get you in Spain, and on a French prescription rather than a UK one.

I tend to spend three months abroad in two or three chunks every year and I have asked for extra supplies when travelling, sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn’t. So, as a fall back I now generally fill my prescription every three weeks rather than four. That means every four months or so I have built up a four week “buffer” for when I won’t be filling my prescription here. It all adds up to the same annual “consumption” so I’ve no qualms about doing it.

Some years ago it was explained to me that there was a lively trade in prescription drugs being exported by families back to relations to North Africa, and that was why filling several months worth in one go was clamped down upon. I don’t know if it’s true or not, but on occasion when I have asked for extra I’ve noticed a bit of a shifty look :eyes: (maybe just my paranoia) which ticks me off a bit as, of course, it’s the Irish Government that’s picking up the tab anyway. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like