French phrase equivalent to "senior moment"?

I opened the door this evening to someone who could have been our neighbour, or maybe someone who was looking for our neighbour. There is a farming “look” among the men in their 40s round here - skinny, almost undernourished, tough, weathered, unsmiling, so I find it difficult to tell one from another. In fact I have met him before - he is the councillor responsible for road repairs in our commune and he’d come to set up a meeting with us and the mayor to talk about the chemin rural that comes down to our property that we’ve been asking them to repair for 4 (or is it 5) years now. Given how important this is for us I think he was a bit disappointed I didn’t recognise him.
I needed a polite phrase along the lines of: I’m so sorry, I’m having a senior moment.
Any suggestions please as to what I should have said?

Je ne suis vraiment pas physionomiste et en plus à Mon Age ah là là (here a significant look should be directed at him, practise first in case it looks like leering).
I wouldn’t say you’ve had a senior moment as it’ll turn into you’ve got raging dementia in translation

4 Likes

J’avais la tête ailleurs?

7 Likes

Yes very good, implies just thinking about something else rather than senility.

2 Likes

Happens to me a lot!

1 Like

Good suggestion, though aléatoire might be a better adjective in my case.

I often say, “Désolé, j’suis con!” :smiley:

1 Like

That seems a bit beyond ironic self depreciation :rofl:

Also a bit early onset senility to me, so prefer the adverb. Much more temporary state of mind, rather than permanent dottiness

Ah, probably should have added a smiley, I wasn’t actually suggesting that one use the resultant phrase :slight_smile:

As I said, “J’avais la tête ailleurs” seemed perfect to my mind.

1 Like