French police excessively violent?

Browsing through this topic just reminded me of when I had only come recently to France in my big old UK 8 cylindered Rover Coupé and was parked in the middle of town under a tree in a car park. A gendarme suddenly appeared, from where I know not, and told me I needed wing mirrors, so I quickly said they’re on order!

He was friendly, but this was an official reminder….

edit - just remembered again - I had a door wing mirror but he said I needed them on both front wings…!

1 Like

My memory tells me now that I told a big fib…!

The gendarme said my car was RHD, and my driver-side door mirror was on the wrong side for French roads, and that I needed a mirror on the passenger side to conform with French law.

I pointed out that the interior rearview mirror could see everything behind me, but he was insistent that I get a passenger door mirror.

Memory isn’t immediately always as reliable as we’d like…!

1 Like

Gracious, Anon 27944729! I strongly disagree with you.

No living creature, no matter how obedient they can be trained to be, should be used as a police battering ram. Not to mention the UK tactic of ‘kettling’ to aid arrest. This is everything a horse fears.

Crowds throw bottles, sticks and even bicycles, not to mention the knife carriers. I would rather police in body armour with shields and batons going up against an agressive crowd any day.

It is the 21st century and high time to treat animals as sentient.

2 Likes

Anon plus a number like this indicates that the poster has left the forum. You won’t get a reply from them.

1 Like

There’s a new active poster who for some reason, not sure if on purpose, has left that as their username

I think that’s candjg, but happy to be proved wrong.

I think it’s a bit rude.

Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Oxford comma and all!

can you post a link to the user page?
@billybutcher

As @Ancient_Mariner says - it might be a user who has very recently been “anonymised” (within the last three days or so) so merely looks active rather than *being* active.

Again, rude. And cowardly to hit and run. An honourable person stands by their words, always. Or doesn’t say them

I suspect that “anonymmising” the user in question was imposed by Cat, not chosen by the user.

Whatever @cat decides I am sure is always with good reason.

Just wondering though, how and why and for what does a regular user get ‘anonymised’ ?

Either they wish to leave the site and they ask - for various reasons it is normally impossible to actually delete a user.

Or they annoy Cat sufficiently and get defenestrated :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hope it never happens to me! :dancer:t3:

I believe the process is something like this:

1 Like

:rofl::joy::sweat_smile::smiling_face_with_tear::flushed: