French rip-off prices, garden refuse, donkeys, goats and anything else the thread drifts to

Well said!

4 Likes

I am a little surprised that I do not find wine particularly cheap, but I now only tend to drink wine from vineyards that I can see from our garden!

And cheap cheese - no - cheddar is also quite expensive! :joy:

Maxine makes excellent points regarding social care provision and the costs thereof. 100% behind those.

But the high prices in the Bricos, really?

Wine may be cheap but shopping for a week in France is significantly more expensive than shopping for a week in the UK (though upcoming events might correct that discrepancy). One does not live on wine and cheese alone (actually I don’t live on cheese at all - ghastly stuff for the most part).

taxes my friend…taxes…

As for the wine, I only talk for french wines. And when you have to import them to another country, prices really increase. Let’s take Québec or the USA for example.

And for the cheese, NON MONSIEUR ! Cheddar is not cheese come one…

High prices for the bricos are most of the time explained by the cost of real estate in certain places. That is why honestly if you know exactly what you need and if it can be delivered, well buy it online. It will be cheaper.

Considering the fact I live in a rural area, not remote but kind of, I tend to buy the majority of my needed stuff online. For example, I tend to build a new bicycle every two years. and I have 5 bicycles to maintain and service. I do it by myself, don’t need a bikeshop, I buy all my parts online. I save time and money. Now I am also with the fact that the day I will need a bikeshop, I will have to pay ! Because I am not interesting for them.

1 Like

I thought that it may get a reaction!

A very good quality cheddar is very good indeed, we recently took 2 excellent cheddars (Godminster & Black Bomber) to the Fete du Voisins to challenge the view that cheddar is bad. I had thought our French neighbours may be polite and try a nibble (to leave the rest for me) - oh no they absolutely destroyed it, even finishing the crumbs!

(I also introduced them to adding a little Branston Pickle to go with it!).

So Maxime your next Anglo challenge is to try some very good cheddar…

1 Like

Hahaha you are to polite to avoid the cheesy argument, I sincerely regret it.

Never mind Mat, I eat quality cheddar regularly, I was just expecting a more angry reaction. Because it is fun to argue on cheese right ?

I take note for Branston Pickle, thank you sir

It should not be Tariffs s they are both in EU. It cannot be staff wages. Not tranpsort or postage. Big mystery.

Wine not cheaper, I don’t know what local wine you drink Mat.
Plenty of good cheese here too, no need to import it :yum:

Hi David,
I don’t disagree that there are many brico stores around but you need to look at what they sell to stay in business. Most of them are like the old UK Homebase stores and 90% things like soft furnishings, cushions, pictures, perfumed candles, patio sets etc. and it’s this that keeps them in business.

To get back to the issue of pricing for identical/similar power tools I just don’t see the French appetite for power tools that the UK has and in my experience the average French household is not equipped with power tools etc the same way UK households are.

To support this, I have only found one equivalent store of Axminster Tools & Machinery who are thriving in the UK or the same level of physical presence for Screwfix. It’s also a fact that my French neighbours are not equipped to the same level as my English neighbours. I don’t know whether the higher prices are driving demand down or whether the lower demand/consumption is driving prices up.

Ah. If I’d known the extra 120 euros I would have paid for the drill in France was a contribution to the better health care, I would have gladly paid. I foolishly thought it was corporate profit.

You make many valid points but my initial question was posed because I actually was concerned that my French friends aren’t getting a fair deal.

2 Likes

Hello folks! Thought I’d pop back to see how you all are? I don’t see Harry?

Just read this thread, and it’s exactly the sort of thing that gets me going so inevitably I can’t resist inflicting my tuppence worth, sorree…

I totally agree with Maxime

No, the point of being in the Union is that countries can trade with each other. The common currency makes this easier. Contrary to what UK rumour might say, the EU is not one vast price-fixing mechanism that ties the hands of its member states’ governments. There are common rules on standards etc but within those rules each country has lots of scope to make decisions in accordance with its own culture, social priorities and needs, etc.

I never understand it when people start comparing French/UK prices as if those were the only 2 countries in the world, and are surprised when they discover that different economies aren’t the same. There are lots of countries in the world and they all have different economies different prices. I don’t see what’s surprising about it.

And I find the assumption that cheapest=best rather dangerous. An economy with bargain-basement prices isn’t usually the strongest and most sustainable economy. Cheap prices tend to be a sign of social exploitation somewhere along the line, and/or low taxation resulting in low public spending resulting in poor social conditions and the country not being a great place to live. Are we saying Switzerland’s economy must be terrible because prices are so high? I don’t think so. Are the Swiss getting ripped off or are they lucky to have such a high standard of living?

When you buy an item, you don’t pay cost price, ie how much it cost to manufacture. You also pay for distribution etc, there are many links in the chain. French business that employ staff inevitably have higher overheads than UK shops because French labour laws are more stringent. Wage bills are higher because French social contributions on wages are higher, employers have to provide health insurance etc. That’s just one of many factors.

But as has been said, things are as they are and individuals have the choice of how much shopping around to do to find what they want at a price that keeps both their conscience and their wallet happy.

9 Likes

All my neighbours are well equipped with DIY tools and equipment. I know because over the years I’ve borriwed them often enough.

3 Likes

getting drunk with Neighbors is cheaper than buying a brand new Bosch driller.

hips !

1 Like

Hi David,
then this shows how different experiences form different views.

Enjoy the rest of the day

Ray

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Having seen the French version of cheddar I’m not surprised it’s considered to be “not cheese”. Firstly, it’s a bizarre orange colour and secondly you can bend it. Proper cheddar is yellow and slightly crumbly and has a sweet, nutty taste all of it’s own.

2 Likes

Hello Anna.

Fantastic to have you back. I’ve missed your no-nonsense, honest, very sensible and informative posts. I hope you are staying.

No Harry any more sadly. He flounced off a few months ago after a few spats. You know how things escalate on here sometimes?!

2 Likes

Did he elope with Simon, seems he as also flounced off too?

2 Likes

good to see you back… :relaxed:

Bill we are pretty close to St Emilion which may have something to do with the cost!

Wine bought from the vineyard we normally pay between 8.50 euros to 15 euros a bottle - in UK we seem to be able to buy something palatable for £6.

I understand what @Maxime is saying however that at sometime someone has to pay for the better lifestyle in France.

I have a solution to the expensive Bosch drill problem…buy Makita! :joy:

1 Like

I have found a lot of drinkable wine for around €3 a bottle which is a lot less than the £6 in Britain. I’m also pretty sure that I’ve spent far more on wine since I’ve lived in France than I have on power tools. :slight_smile: