French rip-off prices, garden refuse, donkeys, goats and anything else the thread drifts to

I am also pleased that you can spell the plural of donkey - I just had a cringe moment when I realised what I had written.

3 Likes

Frankly, I’m enjoying the way this thread is drifting… proper talk about the correct way to deal with garden rubbish, quite naturally floats onto other means of weed control etc…

And if anyone out there has not tasted goat’s cheese or brebis cheese… be brave and buy some… delicious… but I tend to prefer the younger version rather than the aged c abecou :relaxed:

I’m afraid most cheeses and I do not get along - I can cope with Mozzarella, which is fortunate as I could not exist without pizza, and am generally OK with soft cheeses (not the abomination which is “cottage cheese” though) - indeed did once try a soft goats cheese which was, …… well not nice but palatable in a very savoury way.

But on the whole cheese is not something I “do”.

You’re forgiven… not everyone eats/likes cheese… :wink:

As an aside (and at the risk of necessitating another Title change) … I once had a client on the phone… raving about the delicious milk she had recently tasted… but asking if the cows were really contented :thinking:

I explained that the cows were out in the meadows and the glorious flavour to the milk was due to the spring flowers in amongst the grass… by the time I had finished, the client was “over the moon” :hugs:

Subsequently, the cheese made from the springtime milk had a subtly different flavour too… much prized by those in the know… :hugs::open_mouth:

No it is fine @anon88169868 ensured that all subject are now covered by this topic - continue to drift - in line with Dinner Party rules I think this topic is “towards the end” of a dinner party when drink has been flowing and is very similar to our rambling chats down the pub!

Goats cheese is the food of the devil, curried goat on the other hand is amazing.

Ha ha… depends from whence it comes… local is fresh, creamy and not strong-smelling… I have tasted some near to Rocamadour… which tasted… mmmm… not good… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

No Tim, that would be almonds. :imp: Just the smell makes me heave.

I’m not a fan of goats’ cheese, I prefer brebis, but in my opinion, goats’ cheese bought from local markets and producers is completely different to the product sold in supermarkets.

1 Like

Goat curry………love it. We used to go to a local haunt at two o’clock in the morning after we got kicked out of the ‘Forty Thieves’ nightclub in Bermuda for that local delicacy. How we got there on our bikes and scooters after a skin full is another matter.

Paul,
Goats, Brebis & Donkeys are tasty if prepared well. Last time I ate Donkey was in the French Alps. Maybe the ideal solution to your original post concerning the grass! Fence off the garden & hey presto grass cutters. In late Summer early Autumn,:ram::sheep: invite friends & neighbours for a Goat & Brebis Méchoui party . Keep the Donkeys.

Curried goat😎

1 Like

In our local supermarkets we can buy goats cheese from local producers.

1 Like

You are fortunate Jane… so often only the “well-known” brands are offered in the supermarkets.

Incidentally, you might be able to buy goats cheese straight from the local producer… that way the product is even fresher (fabulous)… than in your supermarket. :relaxed:

Tried it. Liked it. Broke out in red blotches within 15 minutes. I’m allergic to the stuff.

1 Like

Being allergic to cow’s milk and a bit tolerant to goat’s milk, I often indulge a little. My husband says I may as well be eating goat poo for the way it smells :slight_smile:

1 Like

We can do that, but like it moyen, so it might as well mature a hit and make it easier to do all our shopping at one go.
It is a journey to our favourite producer.
The price in Atac in Cluny is much less than exactly the same in Super U in Saint Bonnet de Joux.

Oh. I never noticed that. But do you see professionals actually using them? I think some brands use the term “Pro” a bit loosely and they’re not really industrial grade. I first bought DeWalt on the recommendation of the builder who rebuilt our house. He said they were they best but he’s still burn one out in about six to nine months.

I have Bosch Professional cordless and am very pleased with them.

They are pretty good but quite expensive and the range is small compared to Makita, and the Makita range is growing very quickly. The cordless garden tools are excellent - particularly if you already have the batteries/charges.

1 Like