French SIM card for occasional use

I would be very grateful for advice on getting a French SIM card for occasional use. While UK based, I have a second home in France, which I visit for 3-4 months a year, for between 4 & 6 weeks at a time. It would be helpful to have a French phone number. The prime use will be for calls and texts, rather than for Data. I would not plan to use it outside of France, unless occasional use is required to keep the card valid. I am not very keen on a monthly contract, as there will be periods of no use, even without another bout of Covid travel difficulties.

Very happy with Reglo https://www.reglomobile.fr/

1 Like

Yes, I’d endorse Reglo too (which we had before we went to a Bouygues contract)
The importance being the ability to manage your account on line (add funds etc) and that the credit doesn’t expire at each month end…

Me too. We got our reglo mobile sim before we moved here permanently.

1 Like

We had a Reglo Sim for a while but it was a monthly forfait and we hardly used it. Does their “Mini+” arrangement operate more like a PAYG?

We nave a Free €2 a month sim card. Does the job required.

1 Like

Lebara?

Hello again folks

I’ve just got a Reglo mobile Mini+ SIM card for occasional use if/when our landline is down. I have a question for people who are more familiar with it…
The blurb that comes with is seems to say that I have to have a direct debit with them, either to top it up if if falls below 5 euros or for a regular amount per month. Obviously the first one is more appropriate but I was wondering if I had to do either, provided I kept a decent balance on it?

Any experience/understanding you feel like sharing will be much appreciated :smiley:

I’m sure it used to be the case that you didn’t - indeed, we didn’t when we had Reglo mobiles - and when we moved to Bouygues, we just left the “credit” to expire. IIRC they provided warnings that the account would be lost within a specified period if we didn’t top up but since we’d moved elsewhere, it had no consequences for us.
When we were using the account regularly, we topped up on line as opposed to using an abonnement.

1 Like

Thanks Graham. I’ll give that a go - certainly to start with!

1 Like

Got it, topped it up, installed it, working really well (once I realised that the instructions that came with it were, to say the least, misleading!) Just what we needed so thanks again!

2 Likes