French situation as at 19/20 August and into November

Interesting open letter from doctors in Belgium

2 Likes

Sounds super bogus to me, Iā€™m afraid. What is the American Institute of Stress? Who are these Belgian doctors?

1 Like

A load of crap

@vero The platform (The American Institute of Stress) is just one of many, many places where this open letter is being posted. I received it as email text from a friend who (like me) is very much into complementary therapy and a belief that our focus should be on health and well-being. She asked for my thoughts.

I think it merits reading. It is a very long letter and I thought it would be easier for people to find it on a web page rather than a great long text post here.

I wonder if you have read it vero? If so, you are a very fast reader! It raises a number of very valid issues that merit debate and the doctors who have written this rightly feel that debate is being suppressed. I recommend that people do take the time. You may be surprised at what is being offered in the way of information.

1 Like

@Eddie Iā€™d be interested to know why you believe that Eddie. They are, after all, inviting debate.

Where are their names and qualifications?

It does seem to be a genuine letter written in early September. It is along the lines of other opinion pieces Iā€™ve read which are using data to support opposing points, and proposing that the virus should be allowed to let rip.

The are hydroxychloquine supporters too, and as far as I can read the evidence is still inconclusive.

I agree with them that more transparency and perhaps a rethink of strategy might be good as now so much more is known. My difficulty is that they donā€™t propose any realistic alternativeā€¦do we just allow all 85+ year olds to die? Or lock them up so young people can forget any sense of responsibility? They also donā€™t seem to mention the long term effects of the virus that are starting to emerge - do we really want a new block of chronically sick people.

2 Likes

@Eddie @vero This may help you to understand more Eddie and Vero. It lists the signatories

Here they are :slightly_smiling_face:

I agree with them the censorship around the debate has gone totally over the topā€¦

Itā€™s good to see European voices calling for open debateā€¦Childrenā€™s Health Defense now have a European chapter and this letter was also a topic of discussion on Thursdayā€™s episode of The Highwire with Del Bigtree of ICANā€¦(Informed Consent Action Network)

There is definitely a problem with the politicisation of discussion. Trump mentioning hydroxychloquine was enough for some people to discount it - unsurprisingly as he clearly knows nothing, and is completely barmy - but this was maybe a factor in The Lancet rushing out a study on it, which in due course was itself shown to be misleading.
Itā€™s very understandable - it is only human - for those that have nailed their colours to any particular mast - either of strict lockdown or something else - to now find it hard to take on board different views.
I skimmed the Belgian letter, and will leave it to others more expert than me to analyse it - but I am keeping an open mind, and I do agree that open debate, as depoliticised as possible, is the way forward.

2 Likes

I have, I am :grin:
I actually think fine, let it rip, but donā€™t complain afterwards if people you care about die or (and you yourself) need long-term treatment. Same for people who donā€™t want to be vaccinated, opt out - but then donā€™t rely on herd immunity because that is hypocritical - just take the consequences. Donā€™t get a driving licence, walk or crash, whatever. But in that case donā€™t drive on the same road as I do, donā€™t have your child in my (theoretical) immunocompromised childā€™s class and keep away from me with your germs because I donā€™t want to pass them on to my granny.

2 Likes

I almost hesitate to make the observation in case I jinx things but - Iā€™m tempted to speculate the French rate could be slowing - just slightly (and hospital admissions, while up on 2 months ago, look flat for the last couple of weeks).

Sadly unlikely to allow our planned trip over in a month - Iā€™ve already moved the booked crossing to next year, if the unexpected happens we can always make alternative arrangements.

1 Like

Quite a positive graph for the end of the week:

3 Likes

Sorry Paul, I should have taken more noticeā€¦ is the graph of UK figures or France?

France - as this thread was more about the French situation than the UK one.

UK might be slowing a bit after quite a worrying couple of weeks of accelerating rates but I havenā€™t been keeping the spreadsheet up to date. Though to be honest Iā€™m not quite so acutely interested in the figures here - I live in a county with low enough incidence that I suspect weā€™ll have national lockdown before local lockdown and I get to go to work anyway, no matter what, so lockdown affects my routine less than most.

The French numbers, however, are something Iā€™m keeping an eye on as they determine whether the UK wants to quarantine returning travellers and that, in turn, controls whether it is practical for me or my family to visit - something I very much want to do, especially as storm Alex has brought a couple of trees down in the garden (thankfully not the 20m high cypress and oaks, just a couple of fruit trees).

2 Likes

It would appear there has been an issue recording the numbers with a large jump today catching up the missing numbers:

Wonderful, ā€¦ Not

17K here yesterday with the positivity rate now at 8%.

How can you believe the numbers anyway?

World beating, my arseā€¦