French Strikes over Pension Age Increase

Seems you are familiar with the concept, enjoy your golden years of retirement.

1 Like

And what more does your attitude count for? Are you actually out on streets or just another keyboard warrior?

I was a TU member throughout the time I worked in the UK and went on strike quite a few times so can sympathise with the strikers. If in their position, I too would strike, but I’m not and as in most countries, my state and supplementary pensions were accrued wholly through my and my employers’ contributions,

2 Likes

Actually 2 kidneys are what I NEED as mine have failed.

But work is not the reason for my illness.

I have worked all my life and ask for people to be fair and reasonable.

We are now seeing just what sort of thugs are taking part in these protests, setting fire to the Hotel de Ville in Lyon.
What sort of people let rubbish mount up and become a health and fire hazard?
People who refuse to see that the demographics apply to France as well as the rest of the world and want to go on living in cloud cuckoo land.

2 Likes

*How can people enjoy seeing their cities destroyed?

I think (I’ll have to do some research) I remember you writing passionately about women’s pension age in the UK being increased and being very dis pleased about it… :thinking:

3 Likes

They don’t it’s probably rent à mob like the black blocs

2 Likes

No we are all in it together. We are responsible for ourselves but that means we all contribute to society and set up mechanisms to help everyone which government puts into action.

8 Likes

I can assure you that there is no group that occupies less of my attention than potential investors in France, whose interests are in any case tenderly guarded by the investment banker who has become the President of the Republic.

That is, assuming that by “investor” you meant only “financial investors.” If however you intend to include investors in the well-being of the French people, then the message I would send to them, and to you, is that raising the retirement, not to 64, but to at the very earliest possible at the age of 64, will result inevitably in an increase in the rate of elderly poverty in France, which up until now has been among the lowest in Europe, and which should rightly be a point of immense pride for the French.

While it’s true that some fortunate people at 64 are capable of a day’s work, it is also true that children can indeed work in the mines. Just how far do your plans of “reform” extend?

3 Likes

I regret that I cannot be in streets of Paris on this occasion, since I currently live 5,000 miles away. But I feel that I can at least avoid embarrassing myself with public displays of hypocrisy.

Would it be fair to conclude that you support union movements that align with your self-interest, but otherwise, not so much?

2 Likes

Rude!
And completely missing the point of debate.

Grumpiness is no excuse for ad hominem

1 Like

Families are the harshest critics. Teaching is the most importants work of any and that it does not pay as well as say, bankers, says a lot about how society cannot distinguish between value and price.

For the infinitesimal amount whatever I think is worth, I laud you for your vocation! (And for raising your little girls to be as strong).

:bouquet:

4 Likes

French pension reforms: Is Macron’s government doomed by crisis? French pension reforms: Is Macron's government doomed by crisis? - BBC News

The most disgusting part of this whole thing is that the right, who had the same pension reform in their manifesto, voted against.
Not caring about the politics, just out for themselves in trying to bring Macron down.

2 Likes

sheeple who allow themselves to be herded by the likes of Mélenchon, Le Pen and Ratface Zemmour… who only wish to further their own political ends?
If one of them did become President, you can almost be assured that they would not reverse the age increase even though they might promise it just to get elected.

5 Likes

I’m glad you’re not - I didn’t take you to be one who wishes to terrorise the otherwise innocent population - unless of course, you meant that on the streets of Paris, you would be helping to clean up the mess :wink:

Please tell me what is wrong with that… Is it not called freedom of choice and do we not live in a free society?

1 Like

To deflect to the personal rather than the political, what has been interesting has been over past couple of days we have had some lengthy debates with friends about the different culturel approach and meanings in UK “standing on ones own feet” v French “expecting the state to provide”. It has helped me understand my friends better!

2 Likes

Not, really as you failed to consider other possibilities such as someone near the end of their career, whose index linked pension was protected might strike against proposed changes that would affect younger colleagues.

Ah, so I was right about the keyboard warrior, and a very aggressive one too. You only joined SF three days ago but have been consistently unpleasant

3 Likes

You are free to express selfish sentiments just as others are free to criticize you for it. What part of that is hard for you to understand?

2 Likes

let me pass that back to you… what part is hard for you to understand?
Just as you say in the quoted text, the author of the comment giving rise to your comment is equally free to express his sentiments but you chose to call him out :roll_eyes:
I wonder why. Double standards when it suits you?