French TV channels...the loss of

I’m given to understand that certain frequencies were changed / tinkered with recently.
An announcement was displayed on the electronic notice board in the village around the time of the change, to prepare us all for this decent into anarchy.
I spoke to a friend who is an “expert” in this field…certainly when compared to my own level of knowledge; & he told me it should be a formality; a piece of cake; a mere blip…
So some weeks / months later, I’m still without certain channels…the “expert” has been & gone, to no avail.
Anyone out there know WTF is happening; have / had a similar experience ?
I’m no great fan of telly but there were a few things that I liked that are no longer there…or at least, here.

I assume that you have asked the telly to re-scan following the change?

Several times.
I’m not very tech, so the expert tried, & even he said that he couldn’t work out why nothing changed after scanning.

What date did they “disappear”?

Where, exactly, do you live?

I live in the Tarn.
I’d have to check the exact date of the change, but I think it was end of the year or January (ish)

Let me guess Jan 29th?

In fact it appears it was November.

Jan 29th ?

OK, that’s better - the 6th?

Couldn’t find the exact date…just some vaguaries about November & Occitanie blah, blah.

I should perhaps take more notice of what happens around me, but I find my own little world very pleasant most of the time :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m guessing it was the 6th as that is the right date for the changes to the 700MHz band (to allow part to be used by mobile phones) for the Tarn.

More details on the exact frequency changes here

I suspect that there isn’t much alternative to talking to a local antenniste - it might be that you need a new aerial or realigning if there is a choice of transmitters/relay stations for your location - but that can depend on the exact village or sometimes even house.

If you know what transmitter/relay you are on it might be possible to look up the channel list and manually tune the TV but if the auto-scan couldn’t find them chances are reception will not be good.

If I read the PDF that I linked to correctly there might be a bit of financial help available if you need to make changes to get all the channels.

Thank you Paul, I’ll take a look

Stream through your computer using a VPN; no need for a TV, just a monitor.

Yeah I just googled VPN
I’m none the wiser really…
I will read up this weekend; or maybe speak to someone
a lot more tech than myself.
In the meantime, are they available in wood ?
I know where I am with that.

Thanks btw

1 Like

Well, to my surprise & delight, all the channels that left this place some time ago…without so much as a “by your leave”, I should add, seem to have had second thoughts, & returned home.
Now, either I missed something the first time round; or someone saw fit to climb on the roof & wiggle the ariel; all I know is that there was no conscious intervention on my part.

The World is today a stranger place than it was yesterday.

I’m delighted for you, Bob. You woeful tale of the missing channels pulled at my heartstrings and brought a lump to my throat. Their return couldn’t have happened to a nicer bloke! Aaaah! :hugs::star_struck:

Thank you Peter.
It all remains a mystery.

Anyway, to re-cap

Lost channels
They came back
They went
Weather was crap…they’re back
Gone
Back
Gone…except that when it rains a lot, or is very overcast, I get a smattering of programs, on some of the missing channels.
I only have a normal ariel, no box etc., though the dish is still on the roof, but appears to have a problem with the “head” ie the thing on the end of the stick (Vic)
My question is “why should my reception be affected to such an extent?”
Should I just get another ariel ?
My telly is more modern than the last one, & has all the gubbins necessary for receiving ordinary stations…no external decoder, in other words.
Any info gratefully received
I should add that I only get French tv…though that would already be obvious to those in the know

It sounds as though your existing aerial might be marginal enough that sometimes you get a signal and sometimes not.

With analogue transmissions as the signal gets weaker you can see the picture slowly degrade.

With digital not much happens as the signal gets weaker until you trip over a threshold and it disappears altogether (when digital services were introduced this was often referred to as the “digital cliff edge”).

If, when working, you signal is close to the threshold it doesn’t take much for it to fall too low for reception - the best cure is an aerial with higher gain and/or better suited to your reception conditions (including being aimed correctly at the best transmitter).

Sounds as if I need a professional
It’s the ariel that was up there when we moved here ; the dish was added a few years later.
Thank you

I use TVMucho which is a monthly subscription and get BBC and ITV plus a whole load of other channel. Works well on my IPad and laptop