From a basket case to a carpet bug!

No-one’s doubting the help and advice on here.
Just that sometimes some people seem to resent the newbies; I think whoever posted the comment ‘good riddance’ needs their bottom smacked, their ears boxed and sent to stand in the corner for 6 months.
Frank, Tory - yes, as newbies sometimes it feels as though one is trying to open the door into the ‘charmed circle’…
Sue - thanks for the information; it does back up what Frank was originally ‘niggled’ about - and I can understand his feelings - very much.
Your simple, logical, courteous post was full of information that was new to me (and I’ve been here a few years). Just highlights the differences between the UK and France - and how pleasant it is to be informed in a very polite way - what we need to know - thank you.
Love the story about your kitchen - gulp.

(I can’t paste an emoji here - why not ?)

1 Like

Perhaps if you look at the good riddance in light of his comments about me perhaps you might decide it’s not me that should be on the naughty step.

It is interesting to note the ‘barbed comments’ being made by (self proclaimed) 'newbies. Obviously it is not seen as such. Usually prefaced by ‘one of these sites which…’ .or similar nice little insulting putdown)
Personally I have also had well-intentioned advice thrown back in my teeth - as I have noted with others, which is tiresome more than anything.
Maybe we should all open our posts with a clear descriptive I;E ‘Advice wanted’ or ‘Cautionary Tale’. I know most do this, but self evidently postings are NOT always clear.
We should be a little careful about abusing many who give consistently good information, purely because they sometimes make assumptions on the basis of what is Put in front of them.

Mind you when the site owner refers to us as ‘interfering Busy-bodies and Fuddy Duddies’, maybe we should avoid offering advice anyway?

Norman - are we really all ‘busy bodies’ and ‘fuddy duddies’ - who is the site owner who has dared to describe us like that ? - flippin’ cheek.

I think your point about ‘making assumptions’ is correct. I’ve been on the receiving end of someone’s posts who had made totally wrong assumptions about me . Not because of anything I had written - just that it suited their argument to make out I had pretended to be something I was not (and that poster was brought up short by the Mod). If one wishes to offer advice and help - then maybe a question or two ‘before’ offering too much detailed help and advice might clarify things somewhat.

People do like to offer advice; but I’ve noticed sometimes that if the original OP was not very clear in their post, then assumptions are made, advice given which really has no relevance - and then the helpful poster goes off in huff because of wrong assumptions.
Can’t win sometimes…

Anyway guys - it’s now sunshine, pool and wine time…let’s everyone enjoy our lives in France and not get too hung up over’mis-understandings’ - life’s too short.

Our lovely golden oriels have disappeared over last few days - I’m really missing their lovely calls…but a glass or two of wine will compensate a bit. Enjoy the day.

Well the lockdown has well and truly evaporated here. probably be hell to pay in the autumn.

Yes, I think one has to shop around Sue but one would expect chain’s outlets to all use the same configuration tools and pricing mechanism. When you sit and consult with the vendor and decide on the the options all they do is bang it into the system which churns out a price. In the case of a kitchen it should be so many carcasses (I think they’re called) so many doors (in whatever material) legs, kicking boards etc. and the system should squirt out a detailed itemised devis. No matter what branch you go to the pricing process will be that same. It would be interesting to compare the two quotations line by line and see where the differences are? It’s not in the chain’s interest to have internal competition. Often opting for one seeming small alteration can have a significant impact of the quotation. A decent vendor should guide you through all that. Maybe the first one you got was sloppy and the second on the ball?

and also a tooth-drawer.
I hope you mean an artist :wink:
I have just had a lot of dental treatment :crazy_face::grimacing:

1 Like

Same here.

@anon57427786 avoid talking to other members like that in future, it’s pointless troll like behaviour.

3 Likes

Oh no! I need a tooth drawer!

And, late on the scene I may be but I found this thread by Q ‘carpet’.

I take the point about flooring directly over earth substrate but the floors in my house are over the under-build/‘cave’. That’s a full height door into the cave.

I have often wondered why tiled floors are so common - almost universal - as far north as Normandy.

For a sitting room in a house with similar weather to Somerset/Devon, I think this floor is dopey. It’s cheap. It’ll last forever but it’s not appropriate for the climate. And the only heating is from the electric rads you see in the photo. The room needs all the help it can get to be comfortable.

Oddly, the previous owners seemed to agree with me - they carpeted one bedroom. But they put down laminate in the other! A flooring experimental station …

I have no problem with having carpet over those tiles. Decent underlay will smooth the grout lines. The only query I have regards the edges. On a wooden floor, Gripperod simply nails down. I wonder if an adhesive like StixAll or Sikaflex woud hold the lateral tension on Grpperod, of the carpet edge?