Frying-pan recommendations

We have a le creuset omelette pan that has never been washed in it’s 25 year life…

But have removable handle stove top/oven pans as really great for cooking fish. Would really recommend removable handle one.

1 Like

A while back we bought a Cocotte from a company called Cookut, and have been so impressed with it we’ve bought a poêle… It’s arriving Saturday. I’ll let you know how we get on with it.

We use stainless steel frying pans mainly for anything we want to put in the oven such as pork chops. Our wok is carbon steel and is never washed with detergent to preserve the natural non-stick build up.
For most frying jobs we use non-stick and try to balance cost against quality accepting the pan will have a limited lifes-pan (hehe). Not sure a stainless pan is very practical for frying things that really must not stick like eggs and fish.
One thing we find very useful is our non-stick pan shaped a bit like a wok. Plenty of space to swish ingredients around.

Try Mauviel for fantastic stainless coated pans, pricy but until you try them you really won’t appreciate the way they conduct heat, fast. Also De Buyer are great for steel pans. Both made in La France.
P.S. If you are in or near Normandy the Mauviel factory is on your doorstep, you can get “seconds” from the factory shop, minor scratches etc. which are good value.

2 Likes

I thought it was possible to get a special mat to put under a pan so it can be used on an induction hob?

1 Like

Oh yes, I forgot about them. I saw something on Capital on M6 a while ago, apparently they have a shop next door to their factory where they sell slightly imperfect stock at knockdown prices. Unfortunately the factory is 900KMs away from me though.

That would suggest that you are using the pan at an incorrect temperature.

1 Like

Same temperature as I use for the non-stick. Should I try high heat? Not sure about the combination of a very hot pan and the olive oil we generally use.

To avoid poly applied non-stick coatings, I can heartily recommend ceramic

https://www.amazon.fr/GreenPan-antiadhésive-céramique-induction-lave-vaisselle/dp/B0B72FQLRY/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?crid=1J5YF981GFPAW&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.SGZfhrYAuoBRO9WIVHsyfagDzSbl5IXKNxomUkhBvH5wwcQUXsCenWaYtaUiSALzdt_XhZf_CCgSyBUKTqBBrw.K1gHDD70A5ztlWF05GtoxhENZJXaVFWHmzk1hxjxEQc&dib_tag=se&keywords=gp5+poele&qid=1704982880&sprefix=gp5+poele%2Caps%2C80&sr=8-2&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.49fccda8-a887-4188-817b-b9a64bb30e43

Pricey but then, given how much it will be used, may be best to invest.

Alternatively, there cast iron pans (Le Creuset and Staub) are wonderful, and work with induction too, but I now find them too heavy for me to manage

Happy cooking!

:fried_egg:

1 Like

The one you show is a de Buyer, available on amazon.fr quite cheap last time I looked. Pro chefs use it, it’s ok but can stick

Lidl.fr has reduced a nice cast iron one today to 18 euros (from about 32 euros )that will disappear really quickly (it did on lidl.de). 5 euros shipping. Type 100334704 into lidl.fr search box and do it quick if you want it.

This is a copy of Le Creuset buffet casserole (had it for years), use on stovetop incl frying, braising etc and in oven with lid on or off. Indestructible and flexible.

At 18 euros I’d jump on it.

2 Likes

Out of the fire into the frying-pan, then!

2 Likes

Le Chasseur’s version is our favourite pan. Versatile and a pleasure to use. Heavy of course.

1 Like

My French kitchen is fully equipped with Stellar stainless steel cookwares… all gradually bought in UK in the few years before we made the move…
There was a lovely shop in Norfolk, which often had this range on special offer…

It’s withstood the test of time… very pleased…
but I have since bought a very small non-stick pan from Leclerc especially to cook fried eggs… works a treat and the eggs simply slither onto the plate without me needing to do any fiddling … (my fiddling days are over and OH was getting fed up with me breaking the yolk when trying to lift his fried egg out of the steel pan using a spatula… :wink: )

1 Like

I have Stellar cookware as well, although not the frying pan. I did have one, entirely stainless steel, but all my Stellar cookware brought from the UK didn’t work on the induction hob I have here.

For eggs and small snacks I have my eye on the tiny square 5-inch cast iron pan made by Lodge.

It can be had in UK/Eur in places like ebay and amazon but prices are just ridiculous. I’m waiting to find a way to acquire it in the US as once I just missed out on it for 10 dollars and believe offers can still be found around 17 or so.

Being cast iron once you’ve seasoned it it should never stick and the perfect size for eggs or quick snack. Who knows maybe it would also work for the first square super-large Warburtons crumpet? There are sometimes large round ones in shops, this pan is just the size for a more practical square one and this pan would never stick.

I can no longer manage anything heavy… my little egg pan is a sheer joy… :wink:

reading this thread, it’s clear we all have different preferences and needs :wink:

1 Like

I’ve just seen that you sold your Stellar stuff… I’ve lots which has never/hardly been used (fish kettle and hundreds of roasting pans of all shapes and sizes , I over-stocked :wink: … perhaps I could get a few euros for 'em… it’s worth considering… perhaps at the next vide grenier in the Spring…

I bought tri-ply Stellar pans years ago which are excellent BUT the aluminium inner layer (sandwiched by stainless steel) is worn down by washing in a dishwasher. I have had pans replaced under their lifetime warranty.
Apart from this issue, the combination of ss and aluminium works very well.

Serendipitously in this evening’s New Yorker humour - The Myth of the Cast Iron Pan at:-

1 Like

Steel can generally be used on induction hobs, so is this something different?