Frying-pan recommendations

My current best poêle is on its last legs and needs replacing. It has a non-stick coating and I’d like to avoid that next time, which means either cast iron or stainless steel, I think (for avoiding chemicals and for longevity).

Does anyone have a recommendation, or any advice?

oh, I thought this was about cookware (frying pan?) :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

Really depends on what sort of output you want, log size and budget. There are also personal aesthetic factors and more. So many out there.

1 Like

Humble apologies - I’ve led you astray!

Thank you for the recommendations - I’ve amended the title.

To be honest, we use the straighforward dead-cheap flimsy job from the local supermarket. It’s simple, easy to use and clean and, (most important because of my partner having had a chip pan fire in his youth) a lid you can bung on the top if things get too hot.

Having had electric, “safe”, chip pan in the past, I wouldn’t touch one but that’s just me, I know…

1 Like

I’d stick to a good non-stick…

2 Likes

Don’t worry. We’ve had a good laugh about this here, so you’ve added some merriment to our day :joy:. Glad I wasn’t the only one to make the mistake.

1 Like

Now I’m worrying I’ve done it again, and I can see how :rofl: :rofl:

Thread title amended again.

Thanks for all the advice anyway! This is the sort of thing I’m thinking of

1 Like

I bought one recently from IKEA and am very pleased with it!
I’ll post a link if I can find it

1 Like

I really hate to recommend Ikea, but they do some very good stainless steel frying pans at reasonable prices. I was given one by my sister in law which lasted 12 years of regular use. I bought another one 5 years ago and the non stick coating is still as good as new, although I’m careful to never use metal implements. Just don’t buy one from the cheaper range. You also need a nearby Ikea of course.

1 Like

Interesting: I’d never have considered IKEA for that.

I completely agree with @hairbear there. Their cheapest ones are to be avoided but mine is stainless steel and a good weight - solid. Can’t identify it on the website but you need to feel them yourself anyway to get the idea.

Mine is one of these

But, mine is a 32cm one, which they don’t seem to have on the website. I also have one of these

But I don’t think the non stick coating is as good on this one.

1 Like

A few :thinking: years ago (5 or 6?), Carrefour had a promo where you got vignettes for Tefal stuff. We got a poele and a wok, both very good quality and still as good as new. Never used with metal utensils.

1 Like

Any of the frying pans from Cristel will fill your needs. I have been using mine since I received them 31 years ago, they are still in a first class condition. The non-stick versions are equally good , and if necessary, can be returned for re-coating. They are suitable for Hob & Oven to the table.

2 Likes

I’ve only just come in, in both senses, and completely missed the reason for the mirth. :roll_eyes:

Anyway @Porridge, you don’t need any advice from me, I use a big non-stick and a little one as the need arises and tend to give the remaining olive oil a quick wipe round and leave it in for the next time. We get some interesting flavours that way. :joy:

I do have a big steelie but it is rarely used too big and heavy for our needs as we only have the one, small, stand alone, hob. Apart from the slow cooker most of my cooking is done in the steamer and frying is an occasional pleasure for us.

Durandal Poêle Tentation CLIK avec manche amovible et fond anti-adhésif, compatible tous feux, diamètre : 20, 24, 28 et 32 cm

I bought two different sizes about 2 or 3 years ago. I’m pleased with them, especially the way the handles are removable - they click into place reliably, so the pan can go into the oven. But the small one, that I use the most is now getting more difficult to clean. It’s no good for omelettes any more so I got a cheap pan from Intermarché for that.

Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 11.22.40

It is - but it is also one of those times in French where different meanings attach to different genders of the same noun - presumably the cause of Mat’s confusion :slight_smile:

1 Like

When I worked in a restaurant kitchen, the chef would never let his pans be washed, he said to wipe them with a rag kept aside and then re-apply oil to them, they were cast iron pans.

I have two big Tefal frying pans that I tend to use as a wok these days as my lovely steel wok is not suitable for my induction hob now but I have kept it as a serving dish as it has a glass lid.The Tefal pans are quite heavy and I don’t use anything metal in them but they have worn and washed very well although not in the dishwasher as that does tend to ruin any non-stick item even if advertised safe to do so.