Fuel crisis in France - Update

Because it wont.

1 Like

How am I supposed to buy SP95 for my ride-on mower then? Not only would it take hours to drive to my nearest petrol station at 6kph, I’m sure the Gendarmerie would have something to say on the matter.

3 Likes

But the village would have lovely verges

2 Likes

I am sure you fully understand the issue… :wink: :+1: :rofl:
grasscutting might (only might) have to come second to folk going to work (car-sharing if possible), or to hospital/doctor/whatever…

If everyone is reasonable… we can surely get through these times

we’ve not got a full petrol tank, so are planning the one essential medical trip will also be when a quick shop is done en-route… then slink home…

1 Like

Filled up at 1.63 2 and bit weeks ago, was 1.88 today! 25 c eek! Topped up my tank (only 1/4 empty) at 1.76 Friday. The price this morning when I went past was still in the high 1.70s so huge jump today.

Scary when I have a 60km round trip to work and can’t afford an electric!

2 Likes

Are you sure Tory? At your 1.88 per litre price, you could save up to 8€ a day (depending on your fuel economy and overnight electricity cost) - so that’s maybe 40€ per week saving just on your commute - 2,000€ per year. Add in similar savings on leisure etc trips as well - and lower maintenance etc costs too - and that purchase cost difference can be quickly repaid.

I agree with you Geof, I think we can afford it, WITH a loan. If I’ve understood the system we can even get a 0% eco pret. I did the calcs when deisel was up over 2euros and at that I’m looking at around €150/ month fuel v €32 / month electric. We also have a 1/2 solar system with a fee panels and some batteries (currently not actually hooked up!!!) So weekends and Wednesday should be able to charge from free solar. Unfortunately I’m married to a Yorkshire man (1/2 French too :rofl: ) who is insanely opposed to any credit. We’ve never even had a mortgage!!! I’m working on him! The frustrating thing is that we removed the battery / wheels from our old multpla about 18 months ago and stopped paying insurance until himself had time to get it back on the road (awesome van!!). And before anyone chimes in, this is legal, we found the legislation on the gouv site and Axa agreed and were fine to suspend it! You can’t get the prime on a car that’s not been insured for at least 12 months. He doesn’t want to trade in our other cars so without the €5000 the figures dont add up :cry: . I think I’ll reinsure it and then relook in 12 months.

The French have a lovely word for it - hameçonnage I think.

And @Bettina might correct me but I think the Germans call it the same - Hamstering.

?I’ve only heard Germans call hameçonnage catfishing, using the English word.

Edited because cross purposes, prepping would just be stockage de resources or engranger des resources I think (don’t know any preppers, though some might say my war cupboard has tendencies that way…) But yes hamstern in German.

I think the English word for it is plain ‘crazy’ :grin:

1 Like

actually scrub that… hameçonnage is not the right word, though there is a word in French and it’s just as picturesque but I’ve forgotten it. Pretty sure about the German one though

1 Like

Does the scrappage scheme for that get extended every year, though?

I can only think of accaparement /stockage /engrangement - engrangement would be ‘barning’ if the verb to barn were to exist, so it’s quite picturesque but not as sweet as hamstering :slightly_smiling_face:

I will post when I remember it. At this time of night, unlikely to come to me today…:slight_smile: it was a very nice word though so I will try to remember

1 Like

Be kind to peppers, I actually see their point! I’ve gone the soft prepped option. Yes I have loads of food in, I grew up on s farm 30 km from.the nearest shop, with a river in between that sometimes flooded, so think it is normal to be well stocked. We bought a home / land that if need be is big enough to feed us if the SHTF. More importantly I’ve learnt in the last 10 years to crochet, knit, sew (well thats an older skill!) garden, raise chickens for eggs and meat (even got elderly neighbours to teach us the killing bit. King William is still in the freezer, can’t eat him but if I need to do it in the future I have the skills). We have an almost ready to go solar system, a generator, a McGyver husband, wood heating, we don’t have a well but all our neighbours do and we learnt how to water divine a 3 separate people found the same place, we have a creek and etang in easy walk, fruit trees, neighbours with even bigger gardens plus hunting skills / guns etc. I don’t consider myself a prepper but if it goes really bad I reakon I can feed, clothe and keep my family warm.

5 Likes

Engranger I love… it also means ‘trousering’ doesn’t it. As in "French government trousers (engranges) 136 Billion Euros in fines each year from parking fines and other penalties "

It changes but been running a good few years so fingers crossed they’ll carry on!

1 Like

I bought one of the first generation Citroen Zsara Picasso cars in 2000 and we got a folding trolley for water packs fitted in the boot space as standard. I only used it to store bits for the car in because the wheels would not have lasted long on rough terrain but it was handy.

With this in mind I am seriously considering a Citroen Ami. We could afford to pay outright but are there advantages to go for the hire/lease option? Would it be available to us on a very low income? What happens to the deposit at the end of the term? Can you drive it only on local roads not dual carriageways? What is the likely insurance cost? Any guidance would be much appreciated. Then the only problem will be OH wanting me to sell my much loved old vehicles (VW Type 2 and Fiat Cinquecento).