Garage handle - how to fix mounting screws?

Apologies if I’ve got the terminology wrong.

Just bought a cheap handle from Casto for the garage door (see below).

It has two mounting screws that go right through the door to hold the two back plates in place. The back plates (I think that’s what they are called) have a black metal cover that the directions tell me I should pull off to get at the screw holes behind.

But I can see no way to get the black metal covers off to be able to get at the holes. Any suggestions please? As always thanks for help. Sue

P1100259edited
P1100261edited
P1100263edited
P1100265edted

Can you take a picture of the other side of the bottom picture, it looks like the silver bolt/screw screws out and the handle comes off letting the cover come off.

1 Like

Thanks Griffin, but no - that screw is merely to secure the handle onto the spindle that goes through the door - see picture 2. The handle is firmly attached to the backplate. It is the black cover that needs to somehow be pulled off (without damaging it) as shown in Figure 01 of the appalling instructions. It looks as if all I have to do is grasp it and it will pull off (no way!). There are a couple of grooves on either side of the backplate (see picture 3) and I’m wondering if I need to wedge a small screwdriver between the backplate and the black cover and see if I can force it off. Before I do that though, I thought I’d ask here first.

If you take the screw out and the handle off the spindle slot, the cover should then pull off.

1 Like

Do as Griffin said, then small screwdriver and gently prize off where the arrows are.

1 Like

Nope. The handle as I say above is attached to the backplate. In picture 3 you can see there are a couple of small black flanges holding the handle to the backplate. The handle can turn, but it can’t be pulled apart.

Thanks for the confirmation Wozza - that’s what I thought. but wanted confirmation before I broke something! :grin:

Put my glasses on :laughing: and I take it the cover goes only out to the outside of the circle, if so as you say it will leaver off.

1 Like

Just had another look, just prize off with screwdriver

1 Like

I guess so.

Will do . Trying not to scratch it. But it is only the garage!

On ours the screw holds the handle onto the bit that the spindle slots into and the cover is a one piece cover that clips onto the part you screw to the door, you can’t take the cover off if the handle is there.

1 Like

@Griffin36 @Wozza Thank you both very much. I took my courage into my hands and with a very small screwdriver managed to get the black cover to move - reluctantly. So now I can fix the handle to the garage door.

P1100266edited
P1100267edited

3 Likes

And that is what Survive France is all about!

Great that you are all sorted @SuePJ

@cat @james

3 Likes