Gardening questions and chat!

Not for me I’m afraid, but I don’t like the taste of celery either though.
I prefer baked SW chips in the oven and mashed as well, prefer it to potatoes and better for me.

We do too but find it ao difficult to grow, we now don’t bother! Fortunately, there is a great deal grown locally so no problem with good quality supplies!

I’m not all that enamoured of sweet potatoes either but my partner loves them and I have to admit that the risotto-type recipe we have using sweet potato and squash is lovely in the winter…

1 Like

They are fabulous roasted and great in currys as well. I love them. Celeriac, not really tried but on my list!

4 Likes

We each have individual likes and dislikes. What’s wrong with people liking things you don’t?

2 Likes

Exactly. That was the basis of my question.

We have a really nice celeriac and chicken recipe for winter…

1 Like

The secret of growing celery or celeriac is watering abundantly. For the best results prep the ground with well rotted manure or compost and keep the ground wet as they are woodland and bogey ground plants.
When growing celery, plant in squares about 10’´ apart not in rows as this will help with blanching the stems and cut out the need to bulk them up, you can always put up a cardboard fence around the outside 2 weeks before the major harvest to Blanche the outside plants. Oh did I mention that they need watering :grinning:
Here’s what I’m planting this afternoon

That’s always been our problem! The land is on a slope and drains fast. In the end we gave up, especially since so much celeriac is produced locally.

On the other hand, we have reasonable success with herb celery and since we use celery mainly as a flavouring in cooking, it works exceedingly well :smiley:

BBlight this time???

Looks like Alternaria alright, treat with a liquid copper fungicide.

1 Like

:sob:

I haven’t got any of that, will try tomorrow. What’s it called in French? I do have the blue stuff, can’t remember what its called. Hubby gone to find it.

Bordeaux mix, got it ! Bouillie Bordelaise. We’ll treat in the morning and cross fingers. We dug up 1 small, badly effected plant and it yielded 300g, some very tiny but not nothing and all perfectly healthy looking.

I’d forgotten about it, will start using it as a preventative on my tomatoes too.

Alternaria is early blight and can be controlled to a degree with copper fungicides. You should still be able to get an edible crop unlike the later blight that turns the potatoes ro mush. But once you have a crop dig the whole lot up. In the old days we used to burn them, so not sure what one can do now to atop spores infecting the ground….

1 Like

& your eggplants too. You can also try 10gr of bicarb in 1 liter of water.

2 Likes

Hi all,
Something odd has occurred with some of our plants. We thought maybe cats/ night creatures had peed on them, but found the same in our window trough this morning :thinking: Any ideas, please?

The last pic is a healthy plant…at the moment :pray:

The peony and rose are long established.

Two thoughts….have you been very generous with your watering? Or did you reuse old soil with removing any larvae?

1 Like

Do you mean “without” @JaneJones ?

2 Likes

Yes :joy:

3 Likes

@JaneJones all the pots had fresh compost, but nothing added to the flower bed
Thank you