Gardening questions and chat!

Could be diseased plants or some root eating grub or fungus ? From the photos it looks like individual plants are affected. What intrigues me is the rose, is it a new?

1 Like

Not a question but gardening cheerfull news…our tulip tree is flowering magnificently

8 Likes

Edited the title of the thread for you!

1 Like

Enjoy whilst it lasts. Looks like your French location is lagging behind the UK ( Hampshire). We’ve recently moved and found this huge specimen in the garden, sadly the flowering is already almost over .

Wild Carnations are flowering in our little plot… no idea where they came from but they have some buzzing admirers… theplants are fragile/spindly…
I had thought they were just some sort of grass and was about to pull 'em out when I noticed a little colour at the tips… and then the flowers started blooming, just for one day at a time…

this is not my photo… when my camera/computer agree to talk to one another… I’ll download the photo I took today… :wink:

2 Likes

Dianthus deltoides, they grow like a weed in our orchard but virtually no where else on the farm.

We’ve a couple of strands, about 18 inches tall… so frail…

They mix with wild geranium and primula and get cut with the ride on mower, it might be why the seeds get spread so far, they seem to thrive there.

3 Likes

Me again! We had a random corn pop up and left it. It is (was) next to a courgette. Yesterday we noticed it had weird pale opaque patches. Tonight we noticed it has now gone onto 2 courgette leaves as spots. Quickly pulled up corn and chopped offending leaves. We can’t find anything online. Can you guys help???

Sorry not seen that b4
BTW how are your spuds doing? I maybe a bit late here but have you cut off the first flowers 2nd earlies grow bigger spuds if you do so

1 Like

I reckon these are two different types of insects. The first is a caterpillar or slug that’s marching along the leaves in straight lines stripping the chlorophyll. The second more of a randomly chompy insect like a beetle.

Caterpillars poo a lot, so see if any signs. Or go out after dark with a torch and see what slug/snail activity there is. Check round base of plant and underside of leaves. Or sit in a deckchair and read a book so you can see who comes along.

1 Like

Maze suffer from magnesium deficiency, I have seen that in the farm fields around us.
It starts off like in the picture below.
Maize_of_magnesium_deficiency,_symptoms_on_leaves

1 Like

Eek so I shouldn’t have panicked and chopped off the leaves :roll_eyes:

They all got blight :sob: hence my panic about the zucchinis. We’ve chopped all the leaves and leaving them in the ground for 2 weeks as per what you I think said, and what we read online.

This morning the chopped leaves look like this:

Could be….if in doubt feed and see what happens!

:sob::sob::sob::sob::sob:

Question for @Griffin36 ! Our Lidl source sweet potato plants we got in May are growing well. I know this will be a long time off but how do you know when the time is right to harvest them?

When the campagnols are rubbing their full bellies!

Given the fact that our garden is a haven for the local cats, I never get to see the campagnols :cry:

I.ll send a truckload for them to play with! We have plenty to spare.

1 Like