Gas cooker - DIY fitting thereof

They are electronic chest implants to help control the heartbeat. In my case, it also incorporates a defibrillator to restart the heart if it stops.

And they really don’t like strong electromagnetic fields.

1 Like

I see and the Induction hob works on magnets. Thank you.

No it works on electrons, it just some famous bloke found out if they wiz arround in the right way it creates a magnetic field. :grinning:

Ish, a bit - they are well protected from electromagnetic interference but induction hobs are built to induce heating in nearby metal objects as a result of eddy currents created by the magnetic fields. SO

a) your pacemaker might get rather hot (ouch)

b) the induced currents and voltages might affect their operation

c) they might interpret the intense magnetic field as a signal to to switch off - well, the default is to go into some sort of “standard” mode, Graham’s ICD will turn itself into a simple pacemaker if a strong magnet is placed over it, for instance.

1 Like

Strong magnetic fields induce eddy currents in nearby metal objects - i.e pans, needs something with a bit of resistance to get good current flow and a decent voltage so aluminium or cast iron is good; copper not so much as it has low electrical resistance so while you get lots of current you don’t get much voltage and the power is not that high.

Yes Luckily I had replaced all my pans with a good set from IKEA a few years ago which has saved me lots of money, just sad that my lovely wok can’t go on it but have kept it for serving purposes as it has a glass lid. Cooking pots are really expensive now and I found a couple of frying pans in Action that are suitable and very cheap.

This may not be timely for the OP, sorry, but useful for someone going forward

Gas stoves leak significant amounts of methane when they are being ignited and even while they are turned off, according to a new report, adding to the growing debate over the effects of gas-powered appliances on human health and climate change.

The small study — based on measurements from cooktops, ovens and broilers in 53 homes in California — estimated that stoves emit between 0.8 and 1.3 percent of the natural gas they consume as unburned methane, a potent greenhouse gas. During the course of a typical year, three-quarters of these emissions occur when the devices are shut off, the study showed, which could suggest leaky fittings and connections with gas service lines.

Probably stretching it a bit far, if you put new stuff in a building there is a dramatic rise in chemical nasties for a while, VOC’s being how we usually measure it. That declines after a while.
No one pays attention to the reduction in a lot of the stuff we used to do compared with now and the fact asthma and others are still on the rise.
One prognosis is the sugar laden diets cause inflamation in the body that leaves people vulnerable to far more than diabetes later in life.