Gas cooker - DIY fitting thereof

Just ordered a new Glem gas cooker (with gas oven). Also purchased two butane gas bottles, ready to install the cooker.

However, the hole through the wall from the kitchen to the adjacent barn (where the butane bottles are) is too small to accommodate a flexible pipe complete with fittings, and can’t be enlarged as it is a rental property.

So I require a length of tube, and the appropriate fittings, plus a detenteur to do it myself. I’ve seen, in the brico, the thin rubber tube with jubilee clips, which the assistant didn’t recommend for “safety reasons” - the inner diameter looked too small, anyway.

So I was thinking of 2 metres of the orange flexible tube, which I will fit with a nipple connector each end, once it is passed through the wall.

Amazon has a myriad of tubes/fittings/nipples, amongst which I am truly lost - I need nipples which will fit the diameter of the tube, which I assume will be around 8mm, or thereabouts. It is difficult ascertaining what the internal/external diameters are.

Anyone with experience of fiddling with gas fittings any ideas, please?

Ta!

quite some years ago… but we visited a local “quincaillerie” and spoke with the staff… explaining what we wanted to do…
The chap in charge took us in hand, sorted everything… made sure all the ends/bits/pipes/whatever… were all compatible.

Mind you, we had it all written in our basic French, with diagrams etc… which helped them understand… :wink: :+1:

you might try this…

I suggest you leave well alone and get a plumber to sort it out with standard copper fittings through the wall , I take it its not cold in the barn otherwise you will need Propane
PS its standard practice in France to be able to turn off the gas supply externally close to the cooker, running out to the barn to turn of the bottle may be time consuming

3 Likes

What @stevefrance64 suggests is exactly what we have - a copper pipe with appropriate fittings at each end going through the wall and the preformed safety tuyaux date regulated (in our case, lifetime).
The bottles are stored outside in a purpose built shelter (I posted about this another topic).
Don’t compromise on safety!

2 Likes

If you have to ask then you shouldnt be doing it as the saying goes.

1 Like

not sure to whom you are replying (if anybody)

One often has to ask… here in France… eg: “will this fit that”… as the packing/whatever is not always easy to understand and/or verify…

in the beginning, we might be visiting our nearest DIY place several times a day… we almost became one of the family… :rofl:

Getting the “man in charge” to ensure that “this will fit that” before we left the shop… was so much better than making a return journey to exchange bits and bobs…

but I heartily agree… with gas and electric (and so many other things) one does need to know what one is doing… if not… paying the experts is best…

If I subscribed to that defeatist attitude, then nothing would get done, ever.

5 Likes

I selected butane, precisely because of the location of the gas bottles…
…the barn is basically the same building, but I intend to install an isolation tap on the inlet to the cooker. Thanks for your reply.

Thanks, Stella. Unfortunately the local quincaillerie is permanently closed!

unless the barn is heated (unlikely) you may find issues with using butane. You should be using Propane… there are very good reasons behind this.

this is the link to what I referred to earlier…

2 Likes

Use 10 mm copper pipe through the wall with new nitrile gas pipe secured with jubilee clips either side. You can put the rubber pipe end in very hot water to make it easier to fit over the copper pipe . If you’re concerned about it being too cold in the barn make a simple insulated box to fit over the cylinder and pipe

1 Like

Remember that ther rubber pipe perishes with time hence why they stamp the renewal dateson the coils you buy for butane bottles. I used butane for gas cooker/oven for 32 years here but the last ten were with an electric fan oven for which is was necessary to have the steel flexi pipe attached to the butane bottle in the cupboard next to the cooker and I used the proper Butane clip for the bottle, whole lot easier than those old round metal flat ones. As mentioned, butane is not for outside and propane is a whole different story.

2 Likes

With gas its different, its fine if you can run a more than 4 miles per second as you,ll be far enough away to avoid an injury. There are really good reasons why there are gas qualifications.

1 Like

The copper pipe should be sleeved passing through a wall. An insulated cabinet will reach the same temperature as outside without some form of heating.

1 Like

Being nit-picky an insulated box may well become significantly colder than ambient due to evaporative cooling of the gas.

4 Likes

I can imagine a big bang coming soon just stick to the well earnt regulations

1 Like

I am not 100% certain but I think the pipe from the outside gas bottles to the inside has to be metal, doesn’t it? I don’t rent my house but mine is, then there’s a flexible orange pipe from where it comes in to the hob via a security thing.
If I were you I’d get someone whose job it is to do it, quite apart from anything else your insurance may not approve of your doing it.

2 Likes

Look up Tracpipe = I have used this to connect from a cooker inside a gite to an external, outside gas bottle. Stainless lasts forever…

OP will want a gas shut off valve close to the cooker if the gas cylinder isn’t in the same room.

That looks good - is it available en France?

The pipe run I have, is merely the length of the thickness of a stone wall, plus a little play for the connectors - 2 metres would be ample.

Thanks for the link.

Chris