Gas - Electric-Both?

Hello again,
I need to ask for your wisdom/experience, please.
Long story shot, engineer called out to see why the hot water from gas boiler (8yrs old) had very low pressure. The conclusion is, the exhaust pipe needs updating to new regs, parts need to be ordered to repair problem or have a new boiler installed! Have received devis for replacement :astonished: Am concerned that he did not send the repair devis, prompted him to do so.
Have been seriously thinking that maybe it’s time to consider other heating methods.
We use butane gas for heating a hot water, is it possible to convert heating system to electric?
Would we need one of those ugly water tanks for our hot water?
I know in ROI they now have a gas/electric boilers, but very expensive.
Probably more questions, as I remember them.
All advice gratefully received.
TIA
Lily

Heat pump?

2 Likes

More info required.

I’m guessing that you have a gas boiler that provides both domestic hot water & also powers a central heating system, but your post isn’t clear.

If I’m right then in this day & age it would be better to replace such a thing with a modern heat pump that can also provide both functions i.e. you avoid the…

1 Like

Only thing we know about heat pumps is from people that have them fitted and can be expensive to run. Any good sites I can find out the pros and cons, please?

Sorry Badger, you are right.
IF I can ignore water tank, would we be looking at a plumber/electrician, yes? Water and electricity sounds scary!

Pressure of the hot water would have nothing to do with the exhaust pipe as you describe it because the two don’t mix with each other. Clogged pipes after many years or even calcaire build up in the aerators on the taps is far more likely to effect the flow of hot water. It can sometimes be the diverter valve inside the boiler depending on what boiler. I feel the engineer is leading you down the garden path and looking after their interests before yours. Sorry but so often this is the case when the cause and effect do not tally.

1 Like

What make and model is your boiler?

1 Like

I agree with @Corona - it sounds unlikely to me that the exhaust would cause low pressure. I’d get a 2nd opinion if I were you.

This isn’t going to be much help as I’ve not seen them available in France but personally I really like the look of Sunamp Thermino heat batteries. If charged via solar panels then you’re essentially getting free hot water.

3 Likes

Homepage - Sunamp France coming soon, apparently.

4 Likes

Cant vouch for any information but a Spanish company has something similar, so possibly have a look around.
I spoke to Sunamp a few months ago and it looked like I would have to bring one over myself so this could be good news.

2 Likes

You will still have a big cummulus (water tank) with a heat pump, it has to store the hot water somewhere but where I had a wall mounted standard chauffe-eau previously, I now have a bigger floor standing tank with my heat pump system so you need to have a place it can be sited. My electricity bill is half of what I was paying for previously and I advocate 100% having an air heat pump system. The cost depends on what you choose, mine came in with the price of the new build but is a good reliable make. The plumber dealt with all the fitting after the electrician had installed all the necessary for him and actually called to me the other day to check on how it was running, he understands all the technical stuff that comes up on the screen on the tank. I’d never go back to any form of gas again, especially Butane for cooking and can recommend having an induction hob too, far far more responsive.

1 Like

lILY,

WE HAD A HEAT PUMP TO REPLACE AN OLD OIL BOILER - INITIAL CAPITAL COST WAS HIGH BUT SAVED 1000 EUROS A YEAR COMPARED TO OIL AND WE HAD A VERY WARM HOUSE AFTERWARDS. LPG BUTANE GAS IS EVEN MORE EXPENSIVE THAN OIL! i WOULD RECOMEND HAVING THE HEAT PUMP FOR HEATING AND AN ELECTRIC IMMERSION HEATER FOR THE DOMESTIC HOT WATER

1 Like

You can use a heat pump for hot water as well because most of the time 40c is sufficient for hot water and thats a good temperature for a heat pump then 1 a week use the electric element to raise the hot water temp to 63c to do the legionella cycle.

Some heat pumps will do that automatically.

1 Like

Yes concurr, mine does that and have to turn down the controls for hot water on the shower and bath.

2 Likes

When we installed our heat pump to include domestic HW would have added a significant amount to the cost due to the need for a larger unit. I also wanted hot water a higher than 44 degrees. Best to get quotes for the alternatives.

1 Like

Just to add a few small cautions to the heat pump enthusiasm @Lily .

• I don’t know where you are in France but most people here are a lot further south than we are up in Manche and that affects how pleased you can be with a heat pump.

• If you are back-fitting a heat pump to an existing property and have an old house (e.g. stone, metre thick walls etc) that can affect the viability of the installation.

• Personally, I like to ensure I have a variety of energy sources in a house so being reliant on e.g. just electricity doesn’t sit well with me. We had a winter a while back when we lost all power for a substantial length of time and were very grateful for out woodburner and (bottled) gas cooker.

If your location and build type and personality fit the profile though, why not? :smiley:

1 Like

Can you not adjust the setting to higher temperature, mine is set on 60° standard as is Legionella setting and I just turn it down on the taps. Your plumber can do this for you.

1 Like

Yes it does make a bit of difference and I am lucky in living the furthest south in France you can go and the heat that comes with it plus it is fitted standard now in all new builds and included in the purchase price normally unless you want to have a different make. I would never have considered it in Finistère, walls over 1m thick, weather inclement and lots of trees around.

2 Likes

Glad I’m not the only one then :rofl:

1 Like

Hotter than 44c is uncomfortable and tech rules in france state max at point of delivery is 41c

Unless running multiple baths it shouldnt normally be needed? With too many variables and more mordern units the same size ratio cannot be relied upon now but certainly things to consider when purchasing

1 Like

If your elecrical wiring and cold water pressure is ok you could go for instantaenous hot water units. You need one for the bath/shower and one for the kitchen but they are as low as €80 from Denis Deal. they dont need an electrician but a plumber/ handyman needs to connect them to the water supply. they save money from heat loss of central sytems and wasting water for it to get hot.

1 Like