GB stickers to be replaced with UK

How bizarre, but predictable. As has been said, presumably the rest of the world will insist on GB staying but neither are obligatory in UK (unless they are to make that mandatory too :roll_eyes:) so the only place where someone could get caught was returning on a ferry. I suppose the trick will be to have a little magnetic one to put on between entering and leaving the port.

BTW, GB has nothing to do with being great, it merely distinguishes the big island from the little chunk of NW France. :rofl:

More correctly perhaps, they should adopt UKGBNI, but prepare to make UKEWNI, just in case. :laughing:

1 Like

or as E.Macron said on UK Breakfast TV before the Brexit vote “a little insignificant island off the coast of Europe” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Apparently the government has “written to the UN to inform them of the change” - not sure if there is any process by which the UN has to agree before it comes into force.

Since the referendum vote in 2016 I’ve made a point of reading a much broader number of papers than before. I realised there were accepted ideas out there that I’d completely missed and I’ve never seen the sense in ignoring what you don’t support, read it and try to understand where those views are coming from. So, never knock someone for reading the Express.

1 Like

I agree completely @Caroline ! However, as it happened, I don’t read it and hadn’t on this occasion either so I was a bit miffed that @rocam implied (stated) that I was lying…

I think a background photo of some greasy overcooked gammon would work well. Or the happy, smiling faces of Farage, Gove and Johnson…

But you don’t need to read the Telegraph, Mail or Express to know exactly what they say Caroline: it permeates all UK mainstream media. They set the news agenda there.

And you also have to bear in mind that even reading them online helps ‘fund hate’, because they use your clicks to sell advertising.

The real issue in the UK is that it’s very hard to get a ‘broad perspective’ from reading a ‘number of papers’ because there simply aren’t any mainstream left-wing papers - the media is totally dominated by the right.
It’s much easier in France where there are mainstream-ish titles like Humanité and Libération, and the wonderful weekly Alternatives Economiques; but in the UK what are really thoroughly centrist publications like The Guardian are misrepresented as ‘left-wing’ - you have to look outside the mainstream to sources like Novara Media to get an alternative view.

5 Likes

Wise words Geof. But it wasn’t a broad perspective I was after but what fuelled the no vote. I will always remember arriving in the UK the day before the referendum and seeing the infamous Farage poster. The shock! And the message of the NHS ad on the tv: vote no or kill your gran.

Narrow little me, stuck in my easy going, soft left ways was completely out of touch. If I’d only read the Mail, or the Express in this instance, what would my views have been? That was the perspective I was after. Like checking out Fox News to see why 79 million people thought Trump should stay in power.

Actually I think I’m fascinated by what drives people who don’t think like me. Or even better, who hold views I find repugnant. What is going on in someone’s head that they think killing someone is ever a good idea, or that immigration could be/should be stopped dead? Etc.

I get your click feeding point. But my whole life seems to be feeding into some great algorithm now, as it everybody’s, Short of never going on line at all I not sure what to do about it.

2 Likes

Yes Fleur, I saw that old post which doesn’t seem to reflect what was/is being said about a required change at the end of September. Baring in mind where I hope to be at that point I would like to have the required things ready or I will be ready with my colouring pens and Blue Peter badge. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Well bugger Boris, I’m keeping my magnetic GB sticker with its yellow “GB” on a dark blue background surrounded by a halo of gold stars (sound familiar?)

I leave it on the back of my car permanently as a very small (and of course futile) anti-Brexit protest. :grinning:

My current UK numberplate has no Gammon Flag on it because my car is 12 years old.

If necessary I shall do a “switcheroo” at the services on the M25. :grinning:

Until I move to France in a few years and get a French-registered car in which case the point will become moot.

Sidenote: Since my VW Passat estate is dark blue, I was very tempted to get some giant gold vinyl stars made and decorate it with them at the time of the Referendum, but chickened out as the car would have probably been vandalised…

6 Likes

I didnt imply anything, You assumed i was, I dont mind anyone on here who reads or surveys other press. I only wrote that because you quoted something from a generally on here despised source of news but then stated you dont read it. !!!

Exactly, Roger - I don’t and never have read it but you said I had! It is perfectly possibly to find an article on-line and post the link without reading it.

1 Like

I thought Brexit was about making Britain great again. Don’t our UK passports have the code GBR?

I think you may be mistake - it is now Grate Britain as this UK government bloody well grates me.

3 Likes

I think UK Government have applied to UN(?) to have the GB ‘code’ changed to UK as technically GB does not include NI whereas UK does. Just a bit more political symbolism? Not sure there are any plans to enforce cars in UK to display the plate but, as mentioned elsewhere, it might cause a problem when taking a car outside the UK if you haven’t changed from GB to UK - after all, the UK is asking that ‘UK’ becomes the official designation.
I did see that the AA are unhappy and the sudden change as they have a stockpile of GB stickers/plates.

Are you sure you have that correct?
I thought it was because GB included southern ireland whereas UK it will not?

My passport clearly states that Great Britain and Northern Ireland are 2 separate entities brought together for convenience in a single legal document.

4 Likes

Can’t see that the Republic of Ireland is included in Great Britain although it would be interesting to raise the subject in a Dublin pub.

I have no interest in a country that just wants to argue for centuries so I"ll pass. :grin: