General medical

I got the impression that the conditions you have to satisfy are the taking of the medical itself, not having any particular result :thinking:

3 Likes

I don’t think what I asked was meant to be a Brexit issue, just us looking for some help. Please do not make this about Brexit, it’s not fair as this was a genuine ‘asking for help thread’.

3 Likes

Hi @AngelaR You may be right but I was just concerned given the wording on the attestation which one receives.

OK, didn’t mean to hijack the thread. :slight_smile:

It’s just because now you are 3rd country nationals so exactly the same as someone from a dodgy disease ridden hellhole and really it’s quite nice to get a medical since lots of people are coming from places they haven’t had healthcare to the standard we expect here and might have all sorts of ghastly conditions.

3 Likes

Perfectly put, @vero the UK is a third country and are treated the same as any other outside the EU. Agree. I am not sure a radiology of lungs then a general health exam would expose ghastly conditions? I’m defo not complaining about having to comply as I believe it is quite right we should do so. Just wanted to know what would be likely to happen and plan for such.

Just a CT for humans nothing special. :rofl:

2 Likes

Having had TB it’s pretty ghastly, so best controlled.

2 Likes

It is really dreadful! Goodness help anybody who gets TB

@Rocam hmmmmm cars can fail the CT :rofl:

1 Like

It’s also a way of seeing if all your vaccinations are up to date because lots of people forget.

1 Like

As someone mentioned above - if I ever had a vaccination card it has been lost to the mists of time, how do the French deal with that?

Give you a new one…empty of course.

1 Like

You have the right to a copy of your full medical history from the NHS, if you request it then you’ll have all the documents.

1 Like

You can get access to your entire NHS records (including vaccinations) via any NHS digital account. If you don’t have one, contact your last NHS GP and they should be able to start you off.

1 Like

Thanks both of you. I did try and talk to our last NHS GP about digital access but was told that I had to physically go in to the practice with my passport ID in order to register. As we are now fully in France we won’t be returning to do this. I shall try the NHS itself but suspect it will be a long struggle to get through to them and follow whatever process they need. To be fair, apart from OH asthma meds, neither one of us (except for an appendix removal) have had to call on any NHS GP or service for over 35 or more years. So, the only valid element would be vaccinations. Is it worth bothering?

1 Like

My thought about this is that any vaccinations I had as a child are now so long ago they probably don’t count! At my age, tetanus vaccination could be useful and my Ameli account recommends one for shingles so that may be useful too. I can’t imagine what other ones I might need :thinking:

2 Likes

Yes @AngelaR I think the same. Interestingly when I was discussing this with a French neighbour he said the same thing. So long ago it doesn’t really matter. I’ve checked the vacs we can remember and done a list in French then checked it against the legal vacs requirements in France and we seem to match it all. Tetanus would be the one missing at our age. Think we will go to the medical with our list and just see what they say. Suppose they have people turning up all the time who do not have vaccination cards and expect it would be anticipated. Hope so ! :stuck_out_tongue:

Best of luck with that, I was refused both our records because the head of the practice didn’t like us because I had reported our doctor for failing to come to an emergency after promising he would do. I chased it through the NHS but all I got back was ‘everything is at the entire disgression of the head of practice’.

Our first doctor here had to start from scratch with no record of previous vital information. He was horrified at the lack of co-operation between fellow professionals.

Wow, guess they havent heard of the freedom of information act, you have the right in law to inspect and receive a copy on information held about you. Your medical record is as it suggests yours. I would threaten them with a report to the GMC.

I did, and did, got no further with them either, same old mantra, ‘the head of practice’ etc. etc…

Gave up at that point and our excellent Belgian/naturalised French doctor here took up the reins after shaking his head in disbelief. This was 24 years ago, hopefully things have changed.