General technical queries - ask here!

and I now have an unlocked phone. Part of the wait was finding a non Orange SIM card.........

I've seen a link to desimlocker on the Orange site, James, so likely it is possible. Just have to find a mo to do it!

Thanks James, didn't know you could do it on line, just requested a code for one of my old phones. Just received the unlock code !

Here you are Terry, this explains how do do it, or at least if you are permitted to or not.

Peter is right Terry, call Orange and they will send you an unlock code for free, Peter says six months, I have an idea it may even be three months in to the contract. Not sure about that though. Just had a thought that you may be able to do this online too. I'm going to check now.

Thanks Brian.

Right, maybe that's what they call "desimbloquer". I wondered what that was. I shall look into this and keep you posted. Tks for the help.

Actually, I believe that you are entitled to the Unlock code for the 'phone once you have owned it for 6 months, regardless of the length of contract. This can be useful, for example, if you want to get a different provider's SIM, say Giffgaff, to put in the phone whilst in the UK.

Thanks, Steve, I'll give it a go.

@Terry. If you have had the phone for the the full length of your contract, you can ask Orange for a code to unlock it.

I gave my old mobile to our neighbour to save her buying a replacement but she tells me she can't make it work because it's locked into Orange (i.e. it will only work with a SIM card provided by Orange) and she has a contract with Free. Anyone know how I can unlock it so it will take any SIM card?

James. this is great question, can you please post it as a discussion so that I can share it around more easily?

I have a question about Internet line speed. Having worked for a telephone company and in International télécommunications, I know that the line speed can be attenuated by the wire resistance from the Central Office to the house. My CO is 7 km away. I am a Free.fr Freebox user. Their ads say we can have 20 mb of line speed but at best we get 6 mb. Complaints to Free get tripe and excuses that the line speed is within "norms for the line". I wanted a solution and got excuses. Is there anything I can do to improve the line speed? I'm tempted to go back to SRF who owns the lines on the idea they might be able to give us better performance. I also suspect that Free is using bandwith splitting to steal some of that 20 mb they promised. Any ideas welcome.

I kept one guy talking for at least ten minutes before he figured out I was on to him, he said he was going to send his Dad round to rough me up, I think he actually used those words too! He was so angry I couldn't help but laugh at him.

I had one guy slam the phone down on me because I asked him to spell his name (James)

Two words suffice one starts with F the other finishes with F. The first time my wife heard me say that she was most upset telling me not to be so rude on the phone when i explained and told her if anyone is going to screw up my PC then i will do it and if anyone is going to take money from my account then you are they only one authorised

Oh bless - message me your number Carl and I'll set up call forwarding. You can have great fun with them.

I am becoming increasingly jealous because I have never ever received one of these calls :(

Infuriating, aren't they. I like the harmonica idea - my littlun has one so I may keep it near the phone. Or record the ridgeback when he's after the cat food and "singing" then play that down the receiver. The "Oh my God" when I'd finished squealing though was classic. Actually I suppose it was more Bonnie Langford than Shirley Temple with lots of "Weeeeally" and "Dwedful".

@Valerie I am getting about 3 or 4 of these calls a week. I just used to put phone down next to the radio but then found an old harmonica with which I can them a rendition of a 1 note tune. Last week I'd had enough and just taught Rupert/Robert/Michael or whatever name he was using, a few choice Anglo Saxon swear words.