General technical queries - ask here!

Pulling a wide eyed Shirley Temple face and with a few squealy noises thrown in works wonders:

"Madam, I'm calling from the technical department and you have a problem."
"Oh weeeally??? How dreadful! Dearie me, what DO I do? (little squeal)"
"I'll lead you through the steps and show you the error report."
"Ooooh that's SOOOO kind of you. But I don't have a computer."
"Oh my God", bang of receiver.

Seriously, don't bug me when I'm working. On my non-existent computer.

I'm in, just a bit of confusion with Last Pass and the dual login!

Thanks Brian, it looks like it will do what I need and for a reasonable price although I am having trouble logging in to it at the moment, there is a dual login process and despite my account subscription being setup, I can't get back it. Going to try another browser, maybe that's all it is!

@ James H, it works fine with Thunderbird and Opera as IMAP. At least you have good control.

Does anyone use Google Apps to manage mail for their own domain/s.

Raymond, I'll send you a friend request to be able to send private messages & see if there's anything sensible available for you. Essentially, if you're in a remote rural location, there probably isn't very much currently available, but technology is getting better all the time, so you shouldn't give up hope just yet.

Whoops,finger trouble, 1'3Mb !

The problem is that any copper ADSL line more than 8k long only runs at half a meg. I think there may be some confusion between megs and gigs here.

Most people would think that 1.3 gigabits/second for only about € 40 monthly is a bargain. (I get 0.2 gigabits/sec for what will cost me €40 month when the initialpromotion comes to an end. Most ADSL is a little cheaper, but gives 0.005 to 0.02 gb/sec.) In fact, I'm not sure that you'll actually be getting anything like that, but that's a different issue. If you already have this kind of speed, what the heck are you doing even thinking about 3G/4G?

Perhaps you could tell us what sort of service you're actually looking to get, but forgetting about your end of it (inside your place), as that can readily be sorted once the service you want is clear.

Is it that the phone service available with Kiwi is the problem? Have you taken it up with them &, if so, what do they say? Please let us know.

I want to get away from conventional internet access, using e-tera kiwi at the moment but max speed is 1.3gb and it costs €40 odd a month. My phone line is rubbish, Orange says that there is nothing wrong with it, so I'm not going to change to livebox. Therefore, I'm looking at 3G/4G, will check possible speed as coverage of that is patchy as well!

If OK, I want to use a wifi router and not a dongle, I have a netgear extender and a netgear router and think that I can connect to a box with a simcard in it: has anyone experience of this? If so, what's the cheapest way of buying data allowance? VMT in advance

In these times of heightened security , here is a great way to increase the login security for Lastpass and your Google apps using Google Authenticator. This article is a little old , but covers the howto. I have also posted how to make Lastpass even more secure when you are out on Business or on Holidays.

How to set up 2nd factor authentication

Setting up 2nd factor authentication with Lastpass

Cheers

Nick

Win 7 64bits, am using it as I need 2 browsers going but it's still slow

Steve what platform are you running it on? I have it installed on Linux and OSX and it's running fine - no speed issues spotted at all.

As you say it could be an add-on - those pesky things on all flavours and platforms do occasionally cause issues.

I am finding the latest version of Firefox (29.0.1) far too slow. Am having to use Chrome until it gets sorted or I find which add-on is causing problems.

Privacy for anyone anywhere! So you're not getting panicked into all this XP, yep its also a bit heap is sound and smoke. But how about running this OS from your SD card, or CD, or USB stick? Its really a funny thing and quite secure because

• you use the Internet anonymously and circumvent censorship.
  • All connections to the Internet are forced to go through the Tor network.
  • leave no trace on the computer you are using unless you ask it explicitly
  • use state-of-the-art cryptographic tools to encrypt your files, emails and instant messaging.

"Tails" is a Linux distribution, especially when emphasis is placed on safety on the Internet. The system is based on a hardened Debian Linux and comes with a variety of pre-installed programs.

Brian is absolutely right - It is a major breakthrough. As for the OS being a little dated, (at one month after release?), personally I intend to take Canonical's advice and wait till July to upgrade my 12.04 LTS. It wouldn't surprise me if HP weren't planning the same thing for their post-July production.

Being an Ubuntu user HP have my full support for this, I was just pointing out that the chosen OS was a little dated.

Some people, apparently including Canonical, are suggesting that it would be best to wait for July & 14.04.1 before upgrading from 12.04 LTS. See this link, which discusses how to do it if you just can't wait.

@Brian

Yes, probably a reasonable price for the hardware, but the first thing needing to be done would be to bring the Ubuntu up to date !

OK, I know it's a LTS O/S but 12.04 has been replaced by this year's LTS 14.04 (I'm running it under 64bit and it's fine).

Here is a good review of the latest release of Ubuntu , for those thinking of giving it a go instead of sticking with the now unsupported Windows XP.

A fair review of the latest Ubuntu release