Get Twexit done šŸ˜‚

With you on that, the very name with its connotations of the birds wittering on outside my windows to no great import, turns me off.

But I have a confession to make. Many years ago I somehow persuaded myself to have a look and I registered. I started off with only 2 interests, Rugby League and the earthquake in Christchurch (that should tell you what I canā€™t, that is, which year it was :wink:). Not having much interest in the information received I left it dormant very quickly, and so it remains.

I have Facebook solely for family contact, all of whom are many hundreds or thousands of miles from me, and that is really only for video calls with my son, which have superceded Skype, and with a daughter-in-law with acute medical and family problems at the moment.

Otherwise, I am perfectly happy with the discussions and information on here and Trucknet UK for contacts and memories in exchanges with like minded companions of yesteryear. :grinning:

1 Like

1 Like

Thank you very much, everyone, for taking time to explain what Twitter does for each of you. It makes a lot of sense in your different spheres, even if I canā€™t see it, or its ā€œequivalentsā€ as being of much use to me :smiley: At least I understand a bit better now!

1 Like

Are these Americans threatening to quit Twitter the same ones who said they were moving to Canada when Trump became POTUS 45 and yet didnā€™t go anywhere?

My favourite social media site is in a village square with a nice chap named Freddy behind the bar.

3 Likes

This article on abuse via Twitter is interesting.

Itā€™s worth asking if some of the comments made on SF could be considered abusive if made towards the individuals concerned.

1 Like

ā€œ Developed by Jigsaw, a research unit within Google, it defines a toxic comment as one which is ā€œrude, disrespectful or unreasonableā€ and ā€œlikely to make someone leave a conversationā€.

Iā€™m guessing all of SF would be in the Gulag if calling lying, cheating scumbag politicians out for what they are was made a criminal offence.

Seriously, the idea that the media/social media/the establishment is trying to shut down people who call out proven liars as such is worrying.

3 Likes

Well, based on the definition of abusive/toxic (ATs) in the article (sexist, racist, or over-sexualisedā€¦ violenceā€¦ etc.) I donā€™t think so. But there may be some Iā€™ve missed.

However, the article did make me think. The analysis of over 130K tweets discovered that 5% were ATs. So for me that means 95% were valid, I donā€™t actually think thatā€™s a bad ratio.

I suspect with more filters to remove tweets with certain keywords that percentage could even be improved. Obviously Jigsaw didnā€™t actually read the 130+K tweets, so if their scanning software could find the ATs so could Twitterā€™s, if they were bothered.

Looking at the ranking of those that received the highest percentage of ATs I was also surprised that I hadnā€™t heard of most of the top nine, Mat Hancock coming at number ten with only 6.3% was a surprise too, given his performance as heath Secretary and since.

I note that Johnson received 19,000 ATs, 4% of his total, so thatā€™s 475,000 tweets in total. So I ask myself, whoā€™s actually reading all this stuff, ATs or not, certainly not Boris.

I donā€™t really like social media but Twitter is what it is (or should that be, was what it was) and politicians arenā€™t forced to have Twitter accounts. But if they choose to use the platform to express their views, raise their profile and to blow they own trumpet they have to understand there will be push back. Obviously ATs are unacceptable and ultimately pointless, but sometimes that pushback will be inappropriate.

As an aside, they donā€™t mention what percentage of her overall number Nadine Dorriesā€™ 9,000 ATs were, but itā€™s obviously below Matā€™s 6.3%. Looking at her sycophantic and incompetent performance I think the twitterati have been quite constrained.

Thatā€™s OK then, nothing to see here, move along now.

1 Like

Indeed, if they just stop reading the tweets theyā€™ll stop being offended :face_with_hand_over_mouth: Bit like me and the Mail Online comments.

Fair cop - that is mostly me to my MP, but in my defence my MP is Nadine Dorries!!

7 Likes

I must admit if Musk decides he wants $$$ to use Twitter (the current rumour) Iā€™m off. Iā€™ll probably join Mastodon, or maybe not - havenā€™t decided.

Bit off topic but I do wish the UK had an MP to represent Brits whoā€™ve emigrated, kinda like how the French have 11 politicians in the Senate looking out for themā€¦ What do French expat MPs do?

1 Like

It would make a huge amount of sense.

Probably why we donā€™t do it.

Would need more than an MP though, average constituency size in England is 73000, as it is estimated around 1.2 million Brits live in the EU that would need a team of 16 or 17 at least.

1 Like

It would at least mean that our interests were represented - or at least were meant to be represented. Certainly in the constituency Iā€™m attached to there is no motivation to take any sort of account of us elsewhere. It wasnā€™t me who left excrement outside her constituency office thoughā€¦

2 Likes

Thatā€™s exactly what Iā€™d expect someone who did leave excrement outside her office to say though! :rofl:

1 Like

True :roll_eyes: However, I can provide witness statements to say I was in France at the time :smiley:

1 Like

The MIT Technology Review is reporting that over a million Twitter accounts were closed in the first week of Muskā€™s ownership.

1 Like

Fascinating. And Facebook in (possibly terminal) decline too. Dot Com bubble II?

Back to Skype then? :thinking:

Microsoft ruined that a while back.

Zoom is free for calls under 40 minutes.