Getting rid of landline

I’m currently paying approximately 40 euros monthly for landline/internet.
The landline is of virtually no use to me, but I’d like to keep the internet, as I have a pc…all very last century, I know, but I can’t do laptops.
Is there an easy solution to internet connectivity for an ageing pc (plus ageing operator) given that I have a decent 4g connection for mobile ?
We’ve been promised fibre, but no-one has any idea as to when this will materialise.

Thanks in advance

1 Like

I am wondering much the same thing. Because of the time wasters I never answer the landline anymore and at last I hardly ever get them trying now. I only use it to phone out internationally, when it is free, but as those calls are few and far between it doesn’t matter.

Not sure what makes a pc ‘very last century’ as opposed to a laptop, all the same to me, I use a laptop because my old Vista can’t connect to many sites anymore and 4g is a mystery to me with my non smart mobile. :laughing:

I’m doubly last-century… as I have two PComputers on my desk… and often spend my day swivelling from one to the other.

Only one has the internet connection though… and that’s quite enough. :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

This was covered in James thread not long ago. Huawei sim 4g router.

I saw this, but understood about 3 words.

1 Like

Orange’s deals seem to like giving you a sort of virtual landline (VOIP?) attached to your broadband(or whatever) connection rather than having a fixed line phone plus internet. It’s certainly cheaper than having a plug-into-the-wall phone line plus broadband. I’m actually considering asking to go back to a fixed landline rather than via internet as the phone line stays functioning when most other services don’t (like mobile phone for instance) but then it very much depends where you are… In rural Normandy, you’d be daft to rely on any form of mobile phone signal :smiley:

In a spirit of oneupmanship. ‘came home from holiday’ :innocent:

We got rid of our landline phones (we have two properties) when fibre was installed earlier this year. We now have our phones plugged into the backs of our two liveboxes. We were fortunate and were able to keep our landline numbers

That’s exactly the arrangement we have @SuePJ . The only problem withit is that the phoneis now dependent on the broadband being available and we have had a number of occasions when the old-fashioned phone signal on the line was ok but the internet wasn’t, which is why we are thinking of going back. I think the OP was considering ditching phone and internet via the phone line and just using the mobil network. That cerainly wouldn’t work here but might well in his area.

If you don’t have a landline with a corded phone, enjoy standing outside using your mobile if you a power cut.

Should it be an area wide power cut, the backup batteries on the cellular base stations last 30 minutes tops.

Always assuming you have a mobile signal chez vous (which I dont). I do have an UPS to backup the power for my livebox and phone though

1 Like

Maybe head over to that thread anyway as there are a load of knowledgable people there willing to help :slight_smile:

Um, Newbie American here. Do you have to have a landline? We kind of ditched them all years ago. With the internet and phone apps, almost no need to pay for any phone calls anymore. Wondering if this is a French requirement. Am in the process of moving over and this is all new to me. Tks!

1 Like

Hello Kvk. Absolutely no requirement to have landlines at all in France. If you have internet via a cable arriving in the wall then you can have a phone via internet. If you are in an area with a decent mobile signal then you can do everything via that instead… The only problem is where you are in France. Some rural areas have terrible mobile reception so you have to have another means of getting internet and phone calls.

2 Likes

What on earth do you use the other one for?!!!

The one without internet has all our private family stuff. It’s more or less a secure storage centre.

1 Like

Yes but what is it’s use? I honestly can’t imagine? Glorified word processing? And how can you be swivelling from one to another? If it private family stuff, presumably that is basically a filing cabinet? So what’s the point?
Not being ‘funny’ so to speak! I just honestly don’t understand!!

It’s just the way things have worked out… since I had a problem and nearly lost a lot of stuff which is important to me.

Now I try to keep things separate, but might well have both the “filing cabinets” open at the same time. :smiley:

1 Like

Well in the past 4 months progressively all our mobile signal has been disappearing. I’m on my 3rd network since July, still pants.

I suspect other networks have given up their transmitters in this area and are all perching on a faraway Orange transmitter - where the technology will be set up to give Orange customers most of its capacity (even at times of low traffic) leaving all other networks and MVNO customers crowded onto 5 - 20% of its capacity.

Whereas until July we had an OK signal on 2 of the networks at any one time (usually Orange+1 that chaged every 2 years or so) throughout the past 15 years or so.

The only netwok left to try to get a useable signal back on next month now, is full price minimum 1-year contract by Orange. If that fails to produce a signal I don’t have to go out in the rain and cold 30 meters to the gate or more to get to conect (so can’t connect a pc) then I will be forced to use a box/broadband/landline. Except it turns out we didn’t get fibre here after all - so likely not worth bothering.

We are literally 2km from a major motorway and close enough to a major trunk road and no signal? When we had a solid one before? Why is there no requirement on the market-dominant provider, in this case formerly government-owned Orange, not to cherry-pick and at least provide a basic service that covers far more of the country’s geography?

Due all the hassles this year still ongoing with the likes of CPAM (who are letting the Carte Vitale people mangle my address so the forms to send off for CV are not reaching me or reaching me torn, wet and opened and resellotaped by someone after being misdelivered), consumer protection being not a matter of course in France, and now this…A mobile signal is as essential as water or electricity these days. Grrrr.

I signed up to orange about 2 months after moving here just over 5 years ago and have stayed with them…

I had one major outage for a few days which was due to a storm and in that instance I was able to remain in touch with my U.K. family with giff-gaff…

Yes I pay €43 a month and I have come to understand that my landline is actually VOIP but I still have the same livebox….

It’s been resetting itself a lot lately and I wait with baited breath for it to tell me that “your phone line is ready” and “your internet is ready” and for the 2 little green lights to come back on and press to reset….

My mobile phone which is all I have apart from a laptop which I only ever use to watch films now and again switches from SFR to Bouygues to Orange France and when there’s an outage from 3G to 4g….

I like the landline/VOIP because my mum rings me 3 or 4 times a day every day…(her landline costs more than mine but gives her “free calls” to me in France every day and my sister in Canada every week….I’ve looked into this to try and reduce her monthly fee but not found anything better…I think she may be paying for internet that she doesn’t use but then she has an SOS necklace which will contact me and my daughter if she falls or if is more recently the case there’s a power outage or a trip switched in the house which has lately been due to her washing machine….)