Gifts for the Mayor's Office?

We have recently had the chemin rural that comes down to our house repaired. We contributed but a goodly chunk of the cost was paid by the Mairie and they organised it and got it done.
We first started talking about this to the previous mayor 5 years ago!

We would like to thank the Mayor and the secretary and wondered about presents? Is it acceptable to give them anything and if so, what?

We don’t want to offend them.

I would send a letter of thanks if I were in your shoes. Remember they did not pay for the work out of their pockets, public funds did so a present for them is a bit over the top. If you wanted to give something, how about something for the next council meeting foodwise as the council would have had to agreed to the work as well and the commission de voirie also. We never received gifts nor gave them! We always had a drink and nibbles after every council meeting so something home made is a nice thought but enough for everyone!

2 Likes

I don’t think it ought to be anything costly, like a case of wine or bottles of whiskey as that is not allowed. Strict mayors would have to give it back which would be embarrassing on both sides. But something personal such as home-made cake, or box of christmas chocolates for the office or meetings should be ok.

I gave our mayor a squishy stress sheep a few weeks back (like a stress ball but in the shape of a sheep) as he had been trying to resolve a long running stressful problem of our neighbour’s errant sheep. He turned to the secretary (with a smile) and said I was trying to bribe him, so I riposted “cela va dans les deux sens, les administrés doivent aussi s’occuper des administrateurs”.

Apparently he has brought it out of his pocket several times since :joy:.

(The sheep problem has since been minimised by the lynx who has eviscerated a few of them - in the neighbours’ gardens which makes it a bit worse. )

But small personal gifts seem to be fine.

2 Likes

I agree, nothing expensive, but a box of chocs and a thank you letter will be appreciated by the conseil municipal.

3 Likes

Thanks all of you.

The lynx sounds a bit grim!