Girls just can’t get enough!

The Football Association reckons that a million girls and ladies have taken up football in the UK since the successful Ladies World Cup last summer. The tournament was shown quite extensively on the BBC with encouraging viewing numbers.
This is excellent news of course but the FA has said it suffers from a large deficit of football coaches at the beginners level. Footballs governing body has said it will make extra efforts to train up future coaches to keep with demand and are looking for volunteers to carry out the benevolent coaching duties.
Great news, well done girls !

3 Likes

It seems very popular here in France. I’m a passionate fan of Les Bleues. Wendie Renard is ma favorite! :face_with_hand_over_mouth::shushing_face::cupid::star_struck::heart_eyes:

https://images.app.goo.gl/CmsZLfz6ftPJxQJr6

Under the prevailing circumstances of today one should suggest that only FEMALE coaches should be allowed anywhere near female athletes?

Probably this should be extended in totality to all sports? Maybe even a separate Male and Female Olympics?

I used to play football, we usually had a male coach, he was very good (and very fit…). Oh I would love to play football again but injuries make it difficult. I played 5-a-side as well, on astroturf, ouch. One of the important things in football is communication with team mates, and I am a quiet person, so fit coach used to remind me to communicate well, it’s a good sport for improving teawork and interaction as well as great fitness. We practiced near an airfield and I used to get distracted by the planes like Jamal in Slumdog Millionaire.

1 Like

The ladies game like rugby has come on leaps and bounds over the past few years.
I watch a lot of rugby (13 & 15s) and the ladies game is very hard and great to watch.
Ladies cricket however, is a long way behind and has a long way to go to attract both players and fans imo.

I was never good at cricket, used to fall over too much, I was only 10 when I last played… I am good at cricket jokes though.