Gite and Chambre d'hote Owners chat

Doesn't make a difference whether it's rented out or not. A swimming pool in France must have one of the follow: a weight bearing cover, a fence (check size / distance and gate requirements, or an alarm fitted.

However, I work for www.TotstoTravel.co.uk and can confirm that for rentals you will definitely get a lot more bookings from families if they have a fence. I also run several rentals near me that are family friendly.

hello all - this may have been a topic covered ages ago but I need some advice please. I have just started running a property management business where I will organise rentals of gites, changeovers etc for the owners who don't live here and want some extra income. One question that I keep getting different replies too so am totally confused is that of the law of swimming pools. My clients have decided to go for the electric hard cover security rather than a pool alarm or fenced in pool. They obviously have liability insurance for renting out - is this enough? I keep getting told that for renting out of their property they need to have it fenced in!! Help please and sorry in advance if this has been covered over and over again!

Kathrin, thanks for your input - all helpful. Do you have set pricing or do you cater that to the meal and do you require advance notice? Natalie

I have started serving table d'hôtes a couple of years ago, we have the license to serve alcohol with the meal, etc. But as I have two children and I like to spend some time with them, I only offer it at certain moments, when we have cyclists or walkers, or the restaurant in the village is closed. It's not only the cooking, but as I like to eat with my family, I can't also eat with the guests afterwards (and I'm not sure if they would appreciate dinner with a nine and an eleven year old). The menu usually depends on the season, what I can get at the market or what we have in the garden. We once had two cyclists and two bikers arriving, they didn't know each other, all wanted dinner and we just had a big bbq on the terrace and had great fun. I think that's what our business is about: you have to be very organised, but still fexible for surprises.

I'll jump in then!

We tailor our menus for table d'hôtes to the guests we expecting in the sense that we ask in advance if there's anything they don't eat. Our cuisine is more French than English, but with international overtones! Richard's a chef by profession so....

We always eat with our guests - that's the pleasure of it, and no matter what their nationality they're always interested in discussing food and then everything and anything else. Our price per meal includes apero + mises en bouch, starter, main, cheese and dessert, followed by coffee or infusion. The wine is included in the meal price and we serve a very drinkable vin de pays ie we like it and drink it too when we have no guests. Hope this has been helpful but you can see more about our meals here

Jan

Hello all,

would love to have input (any and all comments and advice) on my Table d'Hote question.

I am revamping my website and rethinking the cooking & menus I currently offer and would like to know how you all do it. What kind of menus (French, English, whatever) do you offer, are they limited to certain days of the week or season, is it at the family table ( do you eat with them or not), what kind of pricing and how many courses, is wine included and if so, is it table wine (vrac) or top notch bottles? And finally, what is working for you and what has not?

thanks so much for any and all guidance you can offer. I am trying to decide whether or not to continue and if so in what vein...my style or truly going away from what I do!

thanks loads, Natalie

yes Wendy - you are right of course - i was thinking that 12 weeks would be the absolute minimum to book out in the summer madness... like you i find the free listings sites useless - google analytics shows nothing from them - but i have found literally hundreds of pix on google images show up via the freebies - it can't hurt i think!

my luxury b&b has solar for water heating, natural products in the bathroom, a well and water reclaimation for our organic potager, fruit and veg from there - eggs from our free chickens... we have a composter and a wormery - but i'm not sure we count as 'eco-friendly' as we didn't build or renovate ourselves. It's an interesting marketing tool for the future though!

Hi Teresa I disagree. Im a marketing agent for Tots to Travel and also run a gite cluster in the Gard.

People do specifically ask for eco friendly properties now.

Why only 12 weeks rental a year? one of my gites in the gite cluster rented for 26 weeks in 2011

I doubt tho you'll get enough bookings Jane advertising only through personal contacts... and personally I find the free listing sites a waste of time too.

I doubt there is any cachet in only advertising to friends... they have no idea who the other people are that come and stay. Really now you have to make your property different to the other thousands that you can find via google search - really niche market...... what specifically are you good at? and really aim for that...

All tax queries can be found if you read the french-property newsletter, which is accurate and up to date.

Neil...my initial point about it being more expensive to do up a house here....is that if you buy a run down wreck...its useful to know that if you are thinking of what it would cost in the Uk...think again...important to know what it will cost you. A lot of my friends moved to France and bought cheap properties thinking they could get them done up cheaply...they ended up spending the same on the properties as they would have in the UK.....so not such a bargain...Spain a good 11 hours drive from us....the same to the uk...so you have to include those costs...

ah thanks neil i understand. Thanks Carol off to have alook.

Last night I thought our plans would be shot throught with 50% + however having spent today ploughing through the net I am not so worried after all..does not matter were you live death and taxes you just have to deal with

Tanya, Haven't chosen to pay in UK. Arriva say they have to deduct the tax at source. I then write to the Revenue and claim it back.

Tanya...you might want to try French Entree for information - http://www.frenchentree.com/fe-legal/DisplayArticle.asp?ID=45892

They use Blevins Franks for tax info

I don't think there is much point in comparing costs unless, like you say, you can get materials from a cheaper source. Even cheaper to get your supplies in Spain which is where a lot of people hereabouts go. It costs what it costs, you have to factor the prices in before you start work. Bit like buying a computer, buy a Mac in the USA where it is half the price of the UK (which is the most expensive place in Europe) to buy one).

ah i see

The limited advice we have had so far is to pay in France..?why have you chosen to pay in UK if thats not too personal

Neil....we too use our website to add info....more pics etc...but have never had one enquiry for a booking from it...always from owners direct...

Pay tax in the UK on my pensions then have to claim it back. French tax authorities issued a demand last year but I have not paid it as there seems to be some confusion between the UK and France on whether tax is payable here.

Neil....costs are higher here...materials marginally more expensive..though paint as we all know is poor and you are best bringing it over from UK...but the cost of using artisans... carpenters/builders etc much higher...we did a lot of work on previous houses and in fact did a complete refit on our last property before selling...we are paying well over the odds here...and we have to have everything done by artisans...so when we sell we can claim the costs and not get hit by more tax!

thanks neil

A bit confused how can you refuse to pay tax LOL I am under the impression that I have to pay tax on my NHS pension

Tanya, our experience with the Pau tax authorities is that they deduct 72% for expenses and tax us on the rest less our personal tax reliefs-that's it. They have tried to tax us on our UK pensions but we have refused.

Carol, we have so much information to help sell our venue that we can't fit it all on either Owners Direct or A-gite so we need our own site. Have never done a renovation in the UK so can't compare but building materials seem to be about the same except for paint! using B & Q/Castorama prices.