Gite owners, are your bookings down this year

There are so many options.

Holidays have increased.

People say that they only go on holiday once a year...but they often

forget the four day break at xmas, Easter or for their relatives party in

another country.

Gites....etc are not only a way to try and create a living but, more than often

they are a supplementary form of extra earnings.

It probably depends on the factors of 1.....initial investment [ the right place in the right

spot] 2. research and knowledge of the Leisure industry.

3....energy, determination and positive thinking.

I know of people who us bookings. com Air b and b and .....who else is there.

They are happy enough.

Totally agree with Barbara, We are also really busy and are at the luxury end and catering specially to people coming with under 5s.

You really have to niche market these days and people are looking for special things...

No one has mentioned websites like airbnb.com, and more are popping up like that. If you have an extra room or two, just put them on there, and voilà! They are WAY cheaper than your proper Gite, and I don't quite know just how they differ, but I've compared prices, and the properties listed on airbnb are roughly about 60-70% less. That's a huge savings. Some of these offer use of the kitchen, pool, laundry facilities, and some even offer optional meals, and tour information. I think that some people however don't feel comfortable in someone's 'home' like that, and therefore would prefer a real b&b.

Here Here, Carl! Love him!

I am happy to have provoked a little humour....

Freddy Mercury will be always be remembered.

The days of gliding over a threadbare carpet whilst playing Freddy Mercury have probably gone.

Just to clarify one point Barbara, The days of playing Freddie Mercury will NEVER be gone.

Your friends also need to ask where their advertising is going to be aimed, UK and France? Know your marketplace is an important aspect of starting any new enterprise.

One English woman I know near me, is just having a largeish swimming pool installed, having spent quite a lot of inherited money on having work done on the gite. The pool won’t be ready for the 1st booking arriving this week, there is only one other booking so far and no more. But we are in the north of France in the Sarthe dept. of the Loire Valley, also well away from the lovely Chateaux and vineyards. Our part has a couple of French camp sites, and touring vans, popular with the French apparently. She did well last year for the Le Mans 24hr race and had about 4 other bookings only. She is optimistic that because she has done the work this year, she’ll get the bookings next year.

She did it for reasons similar to your friends, Personally I’m rather sceptical about my friends expectations.

Shaun yes people have ideas about their holiday.

Sometimes it is grilling on the beach or collecting their family together

from all corners of the world....we provide a good backdrop for that second

type of holiday.

But we live in a different world now and sometimes clients want to

re discover life and themselves. That is what I am working on.

Wow....but of course!

I am conceige and in tune with the local bio wines and the vineyards which

are owned by a dynamic woman as well as brave man who also rear Aquitane blonds

as well as a vineyard. I know where to find a superb female chef who is also a sommelier.

The days of gliding over a threadbare carpet whilst playing Freddy Mercury have probably gone.

In any business the owner has to progress with the times.

Those who do not will surely fail.

NO ones money grows on trees

A talented gite owner will move with the market....sometimes lead.

Once upon a time simple was the only way.....not simple as in effortless...simple as in pure,

dynamic and fresh.

I am currently talking to an established company about developing a new type of holiday.

So maybe I am becoming a business development consultant .....in a way.

But....what I am doing is working....it has developed....it can be developed more.

Inspiration is needed .....

By the way there is a great deal of building around my area and lots of new projects

are in bloom.

Shaun what you have just written is exactly what a current gite must be all about, it does not have to be 5 star but additional things make it stand out.

a lot of people who have been running a gite for several years and are based in france may have lost touched with the demands of foreign tourists, i know the french tourist board does not help and as time has progressed many people are now taking holidays in holiday homes, yes a glorified caravan, I had many an excellent holiday in one in the seventies and eighties.

there will all ways be a market for a gite and as fashions change they will come back into fashion perhaps in about ten years time.

I am not challenging you either....but yes have you run gites?
Where about in France are you talking about?

Luxury and complete change of scenery are never, ever out of date!
Different people like different holidays.

Glamping and camping are great fun for some and is currently very

much in trend.

There is one point which all of you could consider .....

People who run hotels, gites and b and b do retire and sell...

at a certain age no matter how well their business runs....there

is a time to grow old.

Not everyone has kids to pass the business to.

And one last point....what business is perfect?

I am not challenging what you have said Simon but I do wonder if, 1. You have any experience running gites yourself and 2. Where abouts in France are you talking about?

do not even consider buy a gite complex, there are several reasons, firstly there are far to many gites in the country, secondly the only two world economies showing any sign of expanding are the UK and USA, the rest are shrinking or slowing down, even Australia, thirdly gites are now outdated and people want to get back to nature, every one I spoke to has decided to spend time camping, fourthly with Greece and Spain in turmoil, you can get cheap package holidays for next to nothing.

when running a gite it sounds so romantic but it is hard work, possibly a max of 10 weeks income and an outgoing cost of weekly cleaning, maintenance, gardening etc, this will cost about 15-20€ per hour and will usually take three to four hours a week. then there is all your annual up keep costs, decorating, repairs, replacing damaged/worn out fixtures fitting and then the taxes on top of that.

personally if I was going to rent a gite, it would need a large pool, uk sat tv, wifi, several games, ie tennis, badminton, a mini gym. plus you need to be with in a few miles of good tourist attractions and activities.

so running a gite complex is a no winner.

Interesting...

It really depends on if you are going for the market which everyone else is going for.

If you know what I mean, and I am sure that you do.

Some of the people around here are busier than ever and some of them are very, very exspensive.

So....yes, perhaps the basic gite business has been over done.

For those of you who think that B and B is any easy way of earning a living....or gite...

they need to know that constant refresh of everything is essential....a lovely garden is

of paramount importance. Being flexable with clients on the concierge side of management is

essential. There is still competition with hotels.

One thing which enters into to the picture is age related energy taking care of the

garden and everything else around the property.

But special still wins!

I would advise to think very hard about such an investment. We have friends who turned their gites into permanent rental (with all the problems that arise from that sector).

Overall the market is very slow this year. We have not seen any Aussies or Kiwis but there are more Americans about. Even the pilgrims who pass have dropped in numbers this year. Not a good time to start even if you have loads of experience. And do not forget to factor in the fact that property prices will rise in the UK but not here, so if they do want to go back it will be an issue.

Two French owned gîtes locally are up for sale, the best local hotel is on the market but has had little interest, another place will review its situation at the end of this season. I am not sure about our nearest gîte (next hamlet) who did very well last year. This is a prime tourism area. The camping places are bursting at the seams with camper vans though, perhaps that is what is changing more than other factors and just enough to knock the bottom out of the gîtes.

Is it maybe because the market is over saturated ?