Give me strength!

Oh my goodness, as you all know I’ve been battling for 2 or 3 years to get into the education nationale as an enseignante contractuelle. Finally this year (of course through a friend not through my efforts through the ‘official’ channels!) I’m now working half time at a lycée professionel. I started 2.5 weeks before the end of last term, I have some REALLY difficult classes / kids but I’m kind of loving it, all my social work skills I have as a midwife / nurse are coming into play. The last few weeks have been a nightmare, bulletins (no one actually said anything until the day after they were due in and the Eng prof said ‘Oh I’m so sorry I didn’t talk to you abotu doing them’. Then this week there has been class report meetings (conseil de classe), got home at 8 last night after hours of teaching then 2 of them! To top it all off I have an inspection tomorrow from the académy. I’ve only been teaching there maybe 5 or 6 weeks total, give me a break!!! Ahhhh and breathe! Just needed to get that all out!

I spoke to @cat in the summer and she put me onto a centre de formation to do online lessons. I was thrilled as things were looking so bad as my contract working with the CDS project was nearing the end. She warned me that it would snowball and it has! I have that job, and the lycée job and now also working for the Chambre de Commerce in their new centre des langues! thank you Cat for picking me up when I was ready to give up. I’m exhausted, overwhelmed (shitty teenager on top of work stuff!) but feeling like I’m finally making a real career!

14 Likes

You deserve it Tory.

1 Like

Courage ! From first-hand experience, for me the CCI is about the best teaching/work I had (I’m far better with adults than kids despite a PGCE etc.), followed by IUT and éducation nationale in last place but it sounds as if you’ll be able to pick what you want to do if it continues like that :wink:

Well done Tory! Its a long struggle but the Chambre de Commerce is a good start. Not so keen on Lycées for obvious reasons - adolescents! However, I would hardly call it a career (unless you do the CAPES or AGREG) as you will find that your wages will remain stuck where they are until you retire. There is no ‘career structure’ in this sort of piecemeal teaching. This is why most people give up English-teaching when they are 40 or so and get a real job (or set up a real business).

1 Like