Gloomy Day

I’m having a gloomy day, nothing is going right. It rains every time I try to venture out to the supermarket. Nothing has gone right. Does anyone have anything cheerful to cheer me up with?
The UK news isn’t cheerful, the weather isn’t cheerful, I’m in slow motion, can’t do the garden, no housework left, not a great deal of inspiration for my writing.

How about writing about “a gloomy day”?

1 Like

Hm, I could, I don’t like indulging gloomy days by giving them writing time.

‘It was a gloomy day, all I could see, hear or feel was gloom, the gloom was wall to wall and ceiling to floor, it was wet gloom that prevented a supermarket trip, writer’s block gloom that meant that the latest rejection of a manuscript was the end of the world, bad memory gloom, bringing every bad experience back to life, bored gloom with nothing to do, and then there was a light at the end of the tunnel…soup’.

Use the gloom to weave a tale full of chiaroscuro (see what I did there :smiley:).

2 Likes

Write an old fashioned letter to someone you’ve been meaning to keep in better contact with, knowing that chances are they will be so pleased to get a real letter. So you might be gloomy, but you can still make others happy.

I wrote one the other day to an elderly woman who was a friend of my mother’s, but whom I’ve known all my life. She is completely lovely, on her own, and shielding (UK terms for total self isolation) so can’t see anyone or go out at all. A chore I’ve been putting off since she sent me a birthday card, and I felt so pleased afterwards.

2 Likes

Funnily enough, I did similar on Friday, its a lovely thing to do. I wrote to old friends.

2 Likes

Today’s owl was one of the adults.

7 Likes

That’s what I have started doing as a writer who hasn’t been very inspired of late x

1 Like

Ooh, I adore Owls! Thank you.

baby stoat
This is a baby stoat
They bring good fortune

5 Likes

Oh that is the cutest stoat. I remember first seeing a stoat when I was about three, amazing little things.

1 Like

Remind yourself that you’re no longer living in the UK!

1 Like

I make no claim to ownership of the above stoat, intellectual or otherwise.
I currently have no stoats in my collection.

1 Like

Nice one, very true. I have PTSD which makes me feel I am back in the UK a lot, and I am also worried abvout the future with Brexit, but it is true I should be living in the moment.

This was posted on a FB group I’m a member of today.

1 Like

Awesome.

What better inspiration could you need, it’s Bloomsday? :slight_smile:

1 Like

don’t think you are alone!
for me youtube is a must; improving french with alexa a must;of musts; talking books good, find a subject you like and investigate the hell out of it; chase up books and texts on the gutenberg project (any subject!) old films, music, plays at archive;org
i find one thing generally leads to another; good hunting!

1 Like

Thank you. I do all this, apart from Alexa as I don’t have that, I used to love winding Alexa up in Guernsey, she had me in fits with some of her answers. Alexa, why has the dog peed on the kitchen floor? Alexa what’s a brick in a baggle?
I love to go on virtual tours of countries and and cities with YouTube as well. I do so many books and learning things, but there are days when I just can’t do anything.

1 Like

Well hopefully today is not so gloomy. But if it is, then sometimes the best thing to do is to have a completely idle pampering day. Tea and toast in bed, bubble bath, painting toenails something bright…that sort of thing.

1 Like