Going to a french language school + looking for some advice

I caught a programme called my 600lb life on TV recently. My god no wonder life expectancy is low for some americans and it made me put my biscuit I was nibbling on in the bin too.

1 Like

I donā€™t think thatā€™s what they were called in Haight -Ashburyā€¦

4 Likes

Hi there, Iā€™m a French native tutor in London (planning to relocate to France next year) and an astrocoach. About the astrology, now studying it too again (online) and having French speaking ā€˜classmatesā€™ who are also in that domain, I can tell you that the person and experience matter more than any diploma.

Youā€™ll definitely be able to do astrology work online or face to face with the English- speaking community in France and abroad. Iā€™m very optimist for you in that regard, especially if you come across as lovely with good vibes. I just wanted to share. I wish you all the best. And who knows, we might meet at an astrology salon or salon du bien-ĆŖtre somewhere! Iā€™ll be relocating in the North of France, where Iā€™m from. Sophie

3 Likes

ah! thank you, this is so helpful!! iā€™ve been reluctant to take the tefl course and couldnā€™t put my finger on why, but this reason could be it. this is one of the websites that i found regarding that. do you know if thatā€™s a good resource? is there another website you recommend for more information?

as far as location goes, iā€™ve kept an eye on the temperature in toulouse and they seem far more manageable than anywhere on the coastā€”the immense humidity is really what i want to avoid. it gets pretty hot where i live now and i did grow up in florida so iā€™m looking forward to the heat and longer summers. :slight_smile:

sophie thank you so much! i really appreciate the encouragement. astrology has been something that has come in and out of my life since i was very young but i didnā€™t really dive into until recently, and itā€™s consuming all of my brain space. iā€™ve considered many career options that seem (to me) to be more universal, but i donā€™t think i could pull it off because of how passionate i am about astrology. it feels like my purpose, ya know?

iā€™ve been trying to make more friends that understand it because, as thrilled and supportive as my friends have been, theyā€™re like parans what? opposite a morning star who? so let me know if youā€™d be interested in connecting and chatting more because i would absolutely love that :black_heart:

@Pamela_Shields @David_Spardo

What, specifically, is so bad about living in America? Why do the flock to France?

i echo what everyone else has said. otherwise, thereā€™s too many things to list, but i will leave it at this: iā€™m not happy here, iā€™ve lived a few different places and iā€™ve traveled all over the country and iā€™m ready for something new. before i even realized i didnā€™t want to be here any more my intuition said ā€œlearn french, go to franceā€. so i did, and it was rightā€”it felt like home.

there are copious amounts of obstacles and many things iā€™m afraid of like having to switch meds because mine arenā€™t available there (after years of trying to figure out what works for me), the language and cultural barrier, leaving the state that iā€™ve called home for over 12 years and the friends that iā€™ve made, all the other aspects that i wonā€™t be aware of until iā€™m there. having a completely different life far away from anyone that i know, but thatā€™s how it goes, iā€™m just gonna do it scared. itā€™s all worth it to me. my heart says go so iā€™m going. i donā€™t want to spend my life ignoring what it says.

@KarenLot

Would he need expensive documentation to go with you wherever you might have to go, or even to return to Ireland or the US?

this is a great point. iā€™ve looked into what is required of him to enter the uk and france but i didnā€™t look into what is required if/when we come back to the states. temporarily leaving him with my friend in the uk will probably be the best option, but i will look into it nonetheless.

But you donā€™t speak French!!! I think your ideas about us and our culture are very unrealistic and I fear you will come to grief.

Hereā€™s a tiny example of how most French people think: in what you have written here, you donā€™t use capital letters at the beginning of sentences, or for proper nouns. We have been taught at school that thatā€™s actually a spelling mistake (e.e.cummings notwithstanding), so we will judge you, as we would judge a French person making a comparable mistake in French.

hahah i was wondering if/when that was going to come up, especially after the ā€œflakyā€ comment. iā€™ve been judged my whole life for various reasons, so this would be nothing new. unless this is a job interview that iā€™m unaware of?

i donā€™t think iā€™ve mentioned anything about my ideas about french people or the culture because iā€™m aware that itā€™s very limited. i met some lovely people that i connected very deeply with, but that was only a couple of people. i think youā€™re lumping me in with those that watch/read/hear certain things about france and have a preconceived (romantized) notion about it and decide they want to live there.

i donā€™t have a desire to explain myself any further because i feel like youā€™re intentionally misinterpreting what iā€™m saying/not reading my full post or comment, and it doesnā€™t appear as though you have any intention to offer any substantial help.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve sent you a PM

Iā€™m French. Iā€™m a boring civil servant who works in education. I spend a lot of time advising young French people about their educational and career options. I donā€™t believe in giving people bogus sugarcoated pseudo-information.
Good luck in the future.

Substantial help would be something like how to get an actual job: I was going to suggest being a language assistant in college or lycƩe but you need a university degree, or to be enrolled in one to do that.

3 Likes

No, itā€™s CELTA I suggested. Assessed by Cambridge University.https://www.theelthub.com/

Jo Cagonga has a YouTube channel and online courses to prepare for and support CELTA.
https://www.elt-training.com/

Itā€™s not cheap or easy but itā€™s the best.

3 Likes

Sorry, Iā€™m confused (and itā€™s an important factor): have you learned to speak French or not?

Not really, I think. Perfectly normal to have variation in outcome over the 5 tested skills, of course, but have they all been assessed, and how?

But you could speak English, presumably.

Yes, and thankfully my accent got me by since I was clueless in all other respects. And an accent can also help in France as long as one has a bit of French to show it off. It was still pretty unorganised as a life decision thoā€™.

1 Like

Hello Sunshine lady, Iā€™m glad my message was helpful! Iā€™m now doing an astocoach course, so Iā€™ve met and still meet a lot of people who are astrologer and love astrology. That feels very nice after decades where it felt a bit lonely sometimes having that hobby. You can keep in touch on instagram under that name @sophiemarette.

1 Like

Call me old and cynical (Hello Old and Cynical) but I think Astrology should be confined to the above. France is a very regulated country, as you must know, you canā€™t even open a newsagents without having a newsagents qualification. What sort of regulations exist for giving people advice, which may be detrimental, based on the stars ? :thinking: Might you not get run in for charlatanism?

3 Likes

Do they issue work permits for that?

Or would it come under a visa for artists and creatives.

3 Likes