Good books to read in 2023

You might like this

1 Like

And this, AC Doyle adventure, my favourite ever book.

A Victorian adventure to another land.

1 Like

Good for you! But if you are doing it for health rather than environmental reasons you do know that gram for gram coconut cream contains 6 times as much saturated fat as beef?

1 Like

I used to love Biggles stories, and had a large collection as a boy including some early hardback volumes ‘inherited’ from my Grandfather. Unfortunately after my father died they were all cleared, along with about 30 Rev’d Awdry railway books.

Umberto Eco’s The Island Of The Day Before is presently sat waiting for me to start. Last year I bought some hardcopy books by Harry Harrison and Larry Niven, 2 of my favourite authors, and might try a couple more this year.

Someone mentioned Trollope - I had the misfortune to read The Pearl aged around 16, and have carefully avoided everything by him since.

1 Like

I knew it was high in saturated fat though I didn’t realise it was as quite so high.

Me too, and I might have another look one day if they are on Kindle, but what I think I would really like to read for nostalgia is Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson. If only to read the passage to my wife about Blind Pugh tapping his stick bringing the black spot to someone who is about to be killed. I remember the thrill and dread well, exactly like the tapping sound Fran makes in order to get the last drip out of a Fortimel tub. :rofl:

BTW On Kindle there is another book with that title, which is why I wrote RLS’s name in full. :wink:

2 Likes

Any book I promised to read in 2022,2021,2020 that I never got around to.

1 Like

I really enjoyed reading this one that came out recently about our distant Neanderthal cousins and which dispels alot of myths about them;

Excellent book! She did post-doc work at Bordeaux university :slightly_smiling_face:

Indeed.

Anyone interested in China and believing that we can learn from history, may be interested in this newly published account with bird’s eye view from the top

A paperback should follow within the year

Read Delderfield’s trilogy, A long summer’s day I believe it’s called, the first one is called “A Horseman Riding By”. Fabulous!

I like Coral Island best.

Haven’t read that one but was force-fed Trollope at school and hated it and cannot imagine his books appealing to a 16 year old. However, I strongly suggest you pick one and have another go now that you are (cough) a little older. I bet there are other areas of life (food?) you wouldn’t have touched then but love now :thinking:

1 Like

Trollope’s Phineas Finn books were excellent. I’ve read about 6 of his and really enjoyed them.
A Tale Of Two Cities by Dickens is also a great read as are so many of his books.

1 Like

True enough about food, but though I remember few details now, there was something stifling about the text that I didn’t find in other writers of the period. TBH the book world is a large place, and I’ll never even get to sample 1% of it, so feel no concern about skipping past his work.

I keep thinking of going back to Dickens but they are sooooo depressing and I think I’d have to be in a very happy place to cope :smiley:

Having fallen (twice) recently for easy-to-read books since my brain is completely on strike, I have a recommendation. However great the reviews, NEVER buy a book described as “heartwarming” :rofl:

3 Likes

There are some Pratchetts I’ve held off reading, because I’m reluctant to get to the day when there’s no more.

1 Like

I regularly reread mine. There’s always something to appreciate in them…

1 Like

One author I’ve never managed to enjoy, despite friends’ recommendations.

I wish I could, because I found much of the dialogue and situations he created hilarious: I just had a block with his books.

Then again, I love PG Wodehouse, and I have friends who can’t stand his writing.