Good books to read in 2023

It was the books with The Watch that engaged me especially. Some of the jokes can be a bit weak and the earlier books, well, he was still developing. But as has been said, it’s a body of work you find yourself going back to again and again. His writing definitely matured as it went along, moved from the more lightweight to sometimes darker and serious stuff. The vein of comedy never let up though.

I read The Colour Of Magic soon after it first appeared, then actively sought out other Pratchett stuff as and when itbecame available. However it felt to me that after the early works it became formulatic, and if you didn’t enjoy the ever heightening social commentary then there wasn’t much content left. Some of the jokes were still good (Cheery Littlebottom!) though.

I skipped a few, then bought the last book in the Discworld series (can’t remember the name) and was even more disappointed as the dull stuff was all that was left, and the imagination that was once key was no longer present. I realised I’d have preferred he stopped writing sooner than to have left this as part of his legacy.

1 Like

It’s not everybody’s cup of tea, fair enough

1 Like

For over 40 years I have enjoyed Nevil Shute Trustee from the Tool room. if you like a happy ending and Slide Rule: Autobiography of an Engineer
Lately Peter James detective Roy Grace set in Brighton,

1 Like

It didn’t help that he was developing dementia as he wrote the later books.

As you say the Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic were brilliant, after that they were good for a while, then OK, then… I got to Carpe Jugulum (having skipped a few) but never actually finished it.

1 Like

Fantasy and Science Fiction leaves me stone cold.

Yes, I think that was clear from the stories themselves. In many ways amazing that he could continue.

Just finished…

Halfway through…

Recommend… (Don’t worry, it has aa happy ending) :slightly_smiling_face:

Achieved with the support of Rob Wilkins. Though Pratchett’s condition didn’t affect his thinking capacity so much.

Yes it usually means emetic :roll_eyes:

1 Like

STILL LIFE Sarah Winman - I found beguiling
PURE Andrew Miller - I found fascinating
PILGRIM: FINDING A NEW WAY ON THE CAMINO DE SANTIAGO
Carolyn Gillespie - I have only just started, but the Scallop Shells practically go past my front door so completing the Way is on my bucket list. Next year in Santiago de Compostela.

2 Likes

Exactly! I know now :rofl:

2 Likes

Interesting suggestions, thank you , and welcome to Survive France @David_Thomson

Anything by Delderfield is great - or H.E.Bates orNeville Shute.

I tend to listen to audiobooks alot now whilst out and about or doing various at home, but I did read the following just before Xmas, and thoroughly enjoyed both:

The Salt Path - Raynor Winn
John Stonehouse, My Father - Julia Stonehouse